One week to go for Essex library consultation
SAFFRON Walden residents have just one week to register their preferred option on the town library opening pattern.
Essex County Council needs to save �4 million over two years on its libraries services and is reviewing opening hours, staffing, reduction in stock fund and mobile services.
It is slashing opening times at all of its 73 libraries by as much as 16 per cent, from 2652 to 2232 hours per week, to achieve yearly savings of �857,000.
The Saffron Walden library will lose 13 hours a week, from 61 to 48 hours.
The new opening time patterns are based on two options: Option A, 9am-7pm on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, 9am-5pm on Saturday, and closed on Wednesday and Sunday; Option B, 9am-5pm Monday-Saturday and closed Sunday. There is also a third option available for ‘no preference’.
Over 21,000 library members have responded to the consultation across the county so far.
Members who have not yet taken part or who wish to make additional comments are reminded that they have until March 27 to make their views known.
- 1 Essex A-level results 2022: Students celebrate grades
- 2 Sully, 12, cuts hair for charity after Greggs-inspired outfit goes viral
- 3 Essex fire crews tackle around 70 incidents in three-hour window after rain
- 4 Celebrity MasterChef 2022: Saffron Walden's Cliff Parisi battles Chris Eubank in kitchen contest
- 5 Newport man vows to protect river after round the world sailing trip
- 6 'Do not eat' - Lidl recalls product over bacteria fears
- 7 IN PICTURES: Sir Tom Jones' Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens
- 8 Love Essex campaign joins forces to fight litter
- 9 Dance in the Square heading to Saffron Walden
- 10 Recap: Tree on the tracks disrupts London, Stansted and Cambridge trains
The consultation can be completed online at essex.gov.uk/libraries or at Saffron Walden Library in King Street.
Additional comments can be made in writing to Susan Carragher, Director of Libraries and Culture, Room 11, Library Headquarters, Goldlay Gardens, Chelmsford, Essex CM2 0EW or by visiting essex.gov.uk and filling in a Complaints, Compliments and Comments form from the Get Involved section of the website.