One week to go for Essex library consultation
SAFFRON Walden residents have just one week to register their preferred option on the town library opening pattern.
Essex County Council needs to save �4 million over two years on its libraries services and is reviewing opening hours, staffing, reduction in stock fund and mobile services.
It is slashing opening times at all of its 73 libraries by as much as 16 per cent, from 2652 to 2232 hours per week, to achieve yearly savings of �857,000.
The Saffron Walden library will lose 13 hours a week, from 61 to 48 hours.
The new opening time patterns are based on two options: Option A, 9am-7pm on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, 9am-5pm on Saturday, and closed on Wednesday and Sunday; Option B, 9am-5pm Monday-Saturday and closed Sunday. There is also a third option available for ‘no preference’.
You may also want to watch:
Over 21,000 library members have responded to the consultation across the county so far.
Members who have not yet taken part or who wish to make additional comments are reminded that they have until March 27 to make their views known.
- 1 Motion of no confidence - may be held behind closed doors
- 2 New outreach Post Office for community
- 3 Uttlesford businesses 'disappointed' with Freedom Day delay
- 4 Network Rail seeks green light for Cambridge South station
- 5 In pictures: Medieval landmark Walden Castle is restored
- 6 Saturday recital to mark 200th anniversary of Thaxted organ
- 7 Classical BRIT Award-winning Jess Gillam to play Saffron Hall
- 8 Caught on camera: Motorcyclist feared for life in near-miss
- 9 New M11 junction hits 'major milestone'
- 10 Draft plans for 49 new Thaxted homes unveiled
The consultation can be completed online at essex.gov.uk/libraries or at Saffron Walden Library in King Street.
Additional comments can be made in writing to Susan Carragher, Director of Libraries and Culture, Room 11, Library Headquarters, Goldlay Gardens, Chelmsford, Essex CM2 0EW or by visiting essex.gov.uk and filling in a Complaints, Compliments and Comments form from the Get Involved section of the website.