Opening day joy for store
A CHARITY shop which opened in the former Eaden Lilly store in Saffron Walden has taken more than �1300 on its first day of trading. The Market Square department store has stood empty for months after the company went into administration, but on Saturday
A CHARITY shop which opened in the former Eaden Lilly store in Saffron Walden has taken more than �1300 on its first day of trading.
The Market Square department store has stood empty for months after the company went into administration, but on Saturday it was bustling with customers supporting the Teenage Cancer Trust (TCT) appeal.
Appeal organiser, town clerk Malcolm White, said: "The opening was very successful indeed and we are extremely grateful to everyone who came along and helped to give us such a fantastic start.
"It was very busy all day and we took a lot of money which I think is testament to range of quality stock we have on offer. People have been very generous with their donations and I hope it continues."
You may also want to watch:
The TCT appeal shop will be open every Tuesday and Saturday from 10am to 4pm for the next six months. The landlord has provided the use of the premises rent free.
Anyone who has any unwanted clothes, books, toys, furniture, DVDs or other items that can be sold is being asked to take them to the store.
- 1 Venue change for Ibiza Anthems Garden Party to Saffron Walden
- 2 In pictures: Saffron Walden's weekend of flooding
- 3 Essex village celebrates 1,000 years of memories with new archive
- 4 Cows rescued after A120 collision
- 5 In pictures: Classic cars rally to celebrate the Royal British Legion at 100
- 6 Updates after person hit by train near Cambridge
- 7 Disabled resident compensated after Uttlesford council 'fault'
- 8 In pictures: Uttlesford pupils' fun before the summer holidays
- 9 Stansted Airport's summer getaway flight figures
- 10 George Peasgood doubling up at Paralympics with cycling selection following triathlon call
The TCT appeal is hoping to raise �100,000 to help pay for a dedicated unit for young cancer patients at Addenbrooke's Hospital, Cambridge.