Opposition grows against controversial Clavering housing scheme
- Credit: Archant
A campaign of protest is building in an Uttlesford village as opposition grows against a controversial housing application.
It follows a public meeting held to discuss a leaflet proposing a 51-house estate on greenbelt arable land in Clavering. The site is an arable field of just over five acres in between the Vicarage in Pelham Road and the Watery Stones lane.
A group called Hands Off Clavering! has been formed following the meeting earlier this month, which saw the village hall packed to the doors with standing room only. There was 100 per cent opposition to the scheme, according to campaigners, which was put forward in a leaflet by Gladman Developments on behalf of a local landowner.
Now that the planning application has been received, the parish council is calling an extraordinary meeting in the village hall on Monday, September 1 at 7.30pm so members can discuss their comments on the proposal.
Jacqueline Cooper, Clavering local history recorder, said: “Clavering already has planning permission for 50 new homes on three separate sites in the village, which will add 10 per cent to the number of houses currently around 500.
You may also want to watch:
The proposal for a further 51 houses, on a site not on the local plan, would increase this to 20 per cent growth in a short period, which is unsustainable.”
The deadline for comments to reach Uttlesford District Council is September 18.
- 1 Updates after person hit by train near Cambridge
- 2 Revealed: almost 300 possible new development sites are submitted
- 3 Roman ceramics and ancient road discovered in big archaeological dig
- 4 Person dies after being struck by train in Cambridge
- 5 In pictures: Uttlesford pupils' fun before the summer holidays
- 6 Hailstones 'the size of golf balls' batter gardens in Essex
- 7 7 of the prettiest villages in north-west Essex
- 8 Lamborghini v Ferrari at Petrolheadonism.Club's Supercar Sunday event at The Warren Estate in Essex
- 9 Medical practice moving this week, and former £1.4m base attracts offer
- 10 In pictures: Saffron Walden Round Table's Big Day Out