Opposition mounts against Sainsbury's and Tesco expansion plans for Saffron Walden
OPPOSITION to two supermarket s expansion plans in Saffron Walden are gathering pace. More than 730 signed letters objecting to planning applications submitted by Sainsbury s and Tesco were delivered to the Uttlesford District Council (UDC) planning depar
OPPOSITION to two supermarket's expansion plans in Saffron Walden are gathering pace.
More than 730 signed letters objecting to planning applications submitted by Sainsbury's and Tesco were delivered to the Uttlesford District Council (UDC) planning department this week.
Sainsbury's wants to build a new store in Thaxted Road while Tesco is bidding to extend its existing store in Radwinter Road.
Pressure group Save Walden Town Centre collected the letters in Market Square and through the town's shops over an eight-day period.
Spokesman for the group, Paul Gadd, said: "We are aware that 60 local businesses have written a joint letter to the press stating their opposition to the Tesco and Sainsbury's planning applications because of the negative impact these developments would have on the number of people coming in to the town centre.
"The Save Walden Town Centre campaign group is particularly concerned at the findings of the key Government report on the impact of out-of-town centre supermarkets on towns such as Saffron Walden, particularly the conclusion that an out-of-town centre supermarket can be expected to reduce the footfall in a market town by between 13 per cent and 52 per cent.
- 1 Red, white and blue: Royal theme for Saffron Walden windows
- 2 Platinum Jubilee: Uttlesford street party and activities
- 3 Suffocating plants to be stripped out: Jubilee Pond makeover
- 4 Saffron Striders impress, Thompson strikes gold
- 5 Tesco recalls pastry product over risks to people with nut allergies
- 6 Police find body in search for missing 71-year-old Raymond
- 7 Free lunch, free fun and circus for Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 8 Debbie Bland Foundation launched in memory of kind mum
- 9 Hidden secrets, free medals, live jazz for Platinum Jubilee
- 10 Outdoor theatre shows for all the family set for the National Trust's Hatfield Forest this summer
"It's obvious that a reduction of that magnitude would have a devastating impact on our town centre.
"That's why we're asking as many people as possible to contact their district councillors, MP and Uttlesford District Council planning department and make their concerns known."
Both Sainsbury's and Tesco's planning applications are likely to be considered by UDC on March 10.
There will be another opportunity to have your letter collected on Saturday February 13 in Market Square or through one of the forms available in the town's shops.
For further information on the campaign see the www.savewaldentowncentre.org website