Outstanding soloist Yvonne Howard to star in Uttlesforde Orchestra's season opener in Saffron Walden
UTTLESFORDE ORCHESTRA opens its current season of concerts at St Mary s Church Saffron Walden on Saturday October 3 with a performance of Elgar s Sea Pictures. One of Britain s most outstanding mezzo-sopranos, Yvonne Howard will be the soloist. Wel
UTTLESFORDE ORCHESTRA opens its current season of concerts at St Mary's Church Saffron Walden on Saturday October 3 with a performance of Elgar's Sea Pictures.
One of Britain's most outstanding mezzo-sopranos, Yvonne Howard will be the soloist.
Well-known for her operatic roles, Ms Howard has been hailed as one of the finest singing actresses this country has produced following her appearance in the award-winning film, The Death of Klinghoffer on Channel 4, and her success as Leonora in Beethoven's Fidelio.
Sea Pictures consist of a set of beautiful miniatures depicting the sea in all its guises, from calm and peaceful to storm-tossed.
You may also want to watch:
The other major work in the concert is Tchaikovsky's 6th Symphony (Pathetique) whose themes are broad, decorative, striking and the orchestration rich.
Tchaikovsky finished the Pathetique as a farewell to life and died nine days after the premi�re. He reportedly proclaimed it to be his finest achievement.
- 1 No end of the line in sight for Audley End CrossCountry cancellations
- 2 St Mary's service held to mark death of Prince Philip
- 3 Back to the drawing board for Radwinter Road retirement homes
- 4 Walden pub reopens after four years
- 5 Application refused for 100 homes on former Friends School site
- 6 Survey reveals Uttlesford fears of fourth national Covid lockdown
- 7 Town council challenges water softening decision
- 8 New Market Row deli will inspire community spirit, says mayor
- 9 New pub opens: 'We had almost the whole village, and the one nearby'
- 10 Audley End Miniature Railway celebrates a lockdown easing sellout
The concert, which starts at 7.30pm, opens with Liszt's Les Pr�ludes, third of his Symphonic Poems.
Tickets for the concert - �9, �7 for concessions and �2 for children - are available from the Tourist Information Centre on Market Square (01799 524002) or at the door.