Outstanding soloist Yvonne Howard to star in Uttlesforde Orchestra's season opener in Saffron Walden
UTTLESFORDE ORCHESTRA opens its current season of concerts at St Mary s Church Saffron Walden on Saturday October 3 with a performance of Elgar s Sea Pictures. One of Britain s most outstanding mezzo-sopranos, Yvonne Howard will be the soloist. Wel
UTTLESFORDE ORCHESTRA opens its current season of concerts at St Mary's Church Saffron Walden on Saturday October 3 with a performance of Elgar's Sea Pictures.
One of Britain's most outstanding mezzo-sopranos, Yvonne Howard will be the soloist.
Well-known for her operatic roles, Ms Howard has been hailed as one of the finest singing actresses this country has produced following her appearance in the award-winning film, The Death of Klinghoffer on Channel 4, and her success as Leonora in Beethoven's Fidelio.
Sea Pictures consist of a set of beautiful miniatures depicting the sea in all its guises, from calm and peaceful to storm-tossed.
You may also want to watch:
The other major work in the concert is Tchaikovsky's 6th Symphony (Pathetique) whose themes are broad, decorative, striking and the orchestration rich.
Tchaikovsky finished the Pathetique as a farewell to life and died nine days after the premi�re. He reportedly proclaimed it to be his finest achievement.
- 1 Several Saffron Walden businesses 'permanently closed since pandemic'
- 2 Covid-19 fast-testing centre opens in Uttlesford for asymptomatic residents
- 3 Villages around Saffron Walden covered in frost and snow
- 4 Another planning application as previous rejection prepares for appeal
- 5 Auction stations - former telephone exchange is up for grabs
- 6 Two Covid swab kit sites open in Uttlesford
- 7 Uttlesford Covid case rates decline means they are now the lowest in Essex
- 8 Saffron Walden artist designs George Orwell book covers
- 9 Photographer 'shocked' after praise from hundreds of people
- 10 Housing sites sought by Uttlesford District Council
The concert, which starts at 7.30pm, opens with Liszt's Les Pr�ludes, third of his Symphonic Poems.
Tickets for the concert - �9, �7 for concessions and �2 for children - are available from the Tourist Information Centre on Market Square (01799 524002) or at the door.