Park gets its skates on
A SKATE park in Great Chesterford took another step towards becoming a reality when the project s first fundraising event was held last Friday (February 13). Youngsters from the Chesterfords Youth Club organised a Valentine s disco, which was attended by
A SKATE park in Great Chesterford took another step towards becoming a reality when the project's first fundraising event was held last Friday (February 13).
Youngsters from the Chesterfords' Youth Club organised a Valentine's disco, which was attended by more than 60 people, and raised �300.
Skate Park committee member, Cllr Julie Redfern, said: "We are delighted that so many attended our first fundraiser. We have been overwhelmed by the enthusiasm of many of the village's young people, some who are also members of the committee.
"It is great to be involved in this project - young people often don't get the attention they should.
You may also want to watch:
"I grew up in the Chesterfords and have three children myself. I do understand what it is like to live in a village as a young person and the problem of limited facilities. We are lucky in the Chesterfords to have our multi-sports area and to add the skate park would be a great asset to both our villages."
The total cost of the skate park is estimated to be about �60,000 and the committee is hoping to raise about 10 per cent of that figure. The bulk of the money will be applied for through grants.
- 1 Creamfields announces new electronic music festival for Chelmsford, Essex, in 2022
- 2 Affinity Water to resume water softening in Saffron Walden
- 3 Venue change for Ibiza Anthems Garden Party to Saffron Walden
- 4 Ipswich man charged in connection with Cheshunt rail incident
- 5 Essex village celebrates 1,000 years of memories with new archive
- 6 Updates after person hit by train near Cambridge
- 7 Saffron Walden Motor Show set for 2021 return
- 8 Person dies after being struck by train in Cambridge
- 9 Beth Shriever talks Tokyo: 'I'm proof that you can make it'
- 10 Essex BMX star wins Olympic gold
The proposed site for the park is at the Great Chesterford recreation ground, near to the Community Centre on Newmarket Road. Currently the site has one basic ramp which would be replaced by a professionally designed facility.
Future fundraising events include a garage sale, taking place at homes across the Chesterfords, and a car wash at Great Chesterford Primary School - both of which will be held on Saturday May 2. An evening of Chesterford's Got Talent has been planned for June 26.
"This is a substantial project and to apply for grants we have to raise about �6500 ourselves," said Mrs Redfern.
"The Saffron Walden skate park is well used, but it is difficult for youngsters from this village to get there.
"We do have a ramp at the moment, but it is very old - this park will be something a bit special.