Parking rebellion in Saffron Walden
TRADERS, who are not happy with the council s Christmas parking incentive, have clubbed together to offer shoppers a better deal. A group of independent traders in Saffron Walden Town Centre will reimburse their customers for the full cost of a day s park
TRADERS, who are not happy with the council's Christmas parking incentive, have clubbed together to offer shoppers a better deal.
A group of independent traders in Saffron Walden Town Centre will reimburse their customers for the full cost of a day's parking on the three Saturdays in December leading up to Christmas.
The parking scheme, which has been organised by the Saffron Walden Business Forum (SWBF), is open to customers who spend more than �30 in any of the participating shops.
Owner of Modish on George Street, Sarah Decent, said: "SWBF has been looking for ways to encourage people to do their Christmas shopping in the town centre and we do not believe that the council has gone far enough with their own parking initiative."
You may also want to watch:
The current scheme being run by Uttlesford District Council (UDC) allows shoppers to park for free in any of their pay-and-display car parks, but only on one occasion and not at peak times.
"We are not happy about the offer because people don't want to do their shopping after 3pm when it is already getting dark," said Ms Decent. "Hopefully the SWBF has come up with a scheme which is more attractive to shoppers."
- 1 Essex's Ben Maher takes Tokyo 2020 gold
- 2 Town council welcomes Affinity Water U-turn as supplier announces surcharge
- 3 Uttlesford faces 'house building assault', says leader
- 4 Venue change for Ibiza Anthems Garden Party to Saffron Walden
- 5 Ipswich man to face trial for Braintree car theft and Cheshunt rail incident
- 6 WaldenTRI come together to produce a strong showing at Bedford Team Relays
- 7 How one business is encouraging pet owners to go plastic free
- 8 Saffron Walden Town off to winning start with victory at Sawbridgeworth
- 9 Creamfields announces new electronic music festival for Chelmsford, Essex, in 2022
- 10 In pictures: Fun raises community support cash
Customers will be able to reclaim the cost of their parking from The Black and White Telephone Company on George Street, Petrus Mens Design on the High Street, Jacks on George Street, Something Elegant on Market Walk and Modish. The offer is valid on Saturday December 5, 12 and 19.
The second week of UDC's parking initiative is running next week from Monday (November 30) to Saturday (December 5). The free parking can be claimed by displaying a voucher in your car (see page 12 for voucher).
The participating car parks in Saffron Walden are located at Swan Meadow, the Common, the Rose & Crown and Fairycroft. And in Stansted on Lower Street and Crafton Green.