Parking rebellion in Saffron Walden
TRADERS, who are not happy with the council s Christmas parking incentive, have clubbed together to offer shoppers a better deal. A group of independent traders in Saffron Walden Town Centre will reimburse their customers for the full cost of a day s park
TRADERS, who are not happy with the council's Christmas parking incentive, have clubbed together to offer shoppers a better deal.
A group of independent traders in Saffron Walden Town Centre will reimburse their customers for the full cost of a day's parking on the three Saturdays in December leading up to Christmas.
The parking scheme, which has been organised by the Saffron Walden Business Forum (SWBF), is open to customers who spend more than �30 in any of the participating shops.
Owner of Modish on George Street, Sarah Decent, said: "SWBF has been looking for ways to encourage people to do their Christmas shopping in the town centre and we do not believe that the council has gone far enough with their own parking initiative."
You may also want to watch:
The current scheme being run by Uttlesford District Council (UDC) allows shoppers to park for free in any of their pay-and-display car parks, but only on one occasion and not at peak times.
"We are not happy about the offer because people don't want to do their shopping after 3pm when it is already getting dark," said Ms Decent. "Hopefully the SWBF has come up with a scheme which is more attractive to shoppers."
- 1 Affinity Water: No compensation for customers in water softening row
- 2 Standing for election for a seat on Essex County Council on May 6, 2021
- 3 Walden pub reopens after four years
- 4 Maisie the schnoodle returns to care home after year of 'fur'-lough
- 5 Delight at repairs grant which will also support specialist building trade
- 6 Bar staff smash £1,000 target in charity challenge
- 7 Coronavirus one year on: Stansted suffers 95% drop in passengers
- 8 Houses in pub garden refused on appeal but similar application pending
- 9 Actor Ray Winstone's video appeal helps double air ambulance's 'brick' sales
- 10 Boy George and Culture Club announce Audley End concert
Customers will be able to reclaim the cost of their parking from The Black and White Telephone Company on George Street, Petrus Mens Design on the High Street, Jacks on George Street, Something Elegant on Market Walk and Modish. The offer is valid on Saturday December 5, 12 and 19.
The second week of UDC's parking initiative is running next week from Monday (November 30) to Saturday (December 5). The free parking can be claimed by displaying a voucher in your car (see page 12 for voucher).
The participating car parks in Saffron Walden are located at Swan Meadow, the Common, the Rose & Crown and Fairycroft. And in Stansted on Lower Street and Crafton Green.