Parkinson’s support group brush up on art for national competition
BUDDING artists from the Uttlesford Support Group for people living with Parkinson’s have been busy with their entries for a national art and poetry competition.
Art is one of the activities which the Saffron Walden branch offers as part of its regular monthly meetings, and members are currently working on their entries into the Mervyn Peake Awards, a competition solely for people with Parkinson’s.
April 14 marks the start of Parkinson’s Awareness Week when, in addition to their painting efforts, members will be out collecting on the streets of Saffron Walden in order to provide funds for research into finding a cure for the debilitating illness.
A spokesman said: “Parkinson’s is a degenerative neurological condition and there is currently no cure. For some people having Parkinson’s can be a frustrating and isolating experience.
“The Uttlesford Support Group offers information, friendship and support to local people with Parkinson’s, their families and carers to make sure that no one has to face Parkinson’s alone.
You may also want to watch:
“Our work is totally dependent on donations and fundraising activities, and it is the generosity of the people of Saffron Walden and Uttlesford that means they can continue their work to find a cure and improve the quality of life for people affected by Parkinson’s.”
She added: “If you see our collectors on April 14 or 21, do please go and talk to them, especially if you know someone with Parkinson’s who you think they might be able to help.”
- 1 Affinity in hot water with residents after sediment build-up in homes
- 2 Walden's Crocus Medical Practice opens within community hospital
- 3 Dedicated children's hospital set for Cambridge
- 4 Official opening held for new air ambulance base
- 5 'Pup Idol' comes to Saffron Walden as search for Wizard of Oz pooch Toto begins
- 6 Juniors the toast of Saffron Walden Golf Club after double championship success
- 7 Q&A: Elsenham WI President Moyra Jackson
- 8 NCTJ staff raise more than £7,000 for journalism bursary
- 9 There With You This Winter: Walden Mayor backs our campaign
- 10 Saffron Striders hit the Cambridge Half Marathon en masse
For more information about the support group in Uttlesford, visit parkinsonsuttlesford.org.uk or call the secretary, Kathy West, on 01279 816293.