Part of ancient landmark from near Saffron Walden to be sold at auction
- Credit: Archant
A piece of medieval stone, to be sold at auction next week, is believed to be part of the long lost Stumps Cross – an ancient landmark now covered by the M11 motorway.
The renowned artefact – which consists of a stone base with a mounted wooden cross – once marked a spot between Saffron Walden and Cambridge just north of Littlebury and, although the junction still bears the name, it is now below the busy motorway.
The stone has a mysterious history, with the making of a cross for the south door of Littlebury Church having been willed by an Elizabeth Thomys in the 16th century.
Although there are no relevant references to a cross at the existing road junction, the corresponding name implies that there was one, and recent research has suggested that it may have been removed from the church as a result of the Reformation – before eventually coming to rest at The Gatehouse.
The stone, used in latter years as a mounting block, will appear in the Summer Country House Sale at Sworders of Mountfichet, in Cambridge Road.
You may also want to watch:
The sale will start at 10am on Tuesday (June 16), and the artefact has an estimated price of £3,000 to £4,000.
Sworders auctioneer Guy Schooling said: “It is fascinating that important missing artefacts from local history can still come to light like this after centuries.
- 1 Chelmsford bypass 'could provide strategic link' to Stansted Airport
- 2 First 'building block' of Harlow town centre major regeneration approved
- 3 Church praises members for 'fantastic' Harvest Time generosity
- 4 Nursery school faces 'imminent closure' without cash boost
- 5 Dedicated children's hospital set for Cambridge
- 6 David Walliams’ Gangsta Granny coming to Cambridge stage
- 7 Minute silence at council meeting for 'kind-hearted' Uttlesford officer
- 8 Jets and Falcons fly out of Stansted after their NFL London showdown
- 9 Tributes pour in after death of Essex MP Sir David Amess
- 10 An afternoon at the Proms for Mountfitchet House residents
“It really makes you wonder just what else is out there waiting to be found.”