Pedestrian killed in collision with lorry on M11 motorway
POLICE are investigating the circumstances surrounding fatal road crash on the M11 near Saffron Walden.
The collision happened when an 18-year-old male pedestrian, believed to be from Saffron Walden, was struck by a lorry between Junction 8 and 9 on the southbound carriageway of the motorway shortly after 10pm on Monday July 29.
The man was certified dead at the scene. A formal identification is due to take place in the next few days.A section of the carriageway was closed for about five hours while forensic collision investigators carried out their enquiries to determine the cause of the crash.
Fire crews from Saffron Walden, Stansted and Newport were called to the scene and left at about 1am.
A spokesperson from East of England Ambulance Service (EEAST) said: “We received a call at 10.14pm to reports that a person had been hit by a lorry on the M11.
You may also want to watch:
“East of England Ambulance Service (EEAST) sent vehicles from the Hazardous Area Response Team (HART), a land ambulance, a Rapid Response Vehicle, and a response car from East Anglian Air Ambulance.
“Sadly the casualty was pronounced deceased at the scene and our thoughts are with the family and friends at this tragic time.”
- 1 Walden's new healthcare hub taking shape - as doctors surgery goes on market for £1.4m
- 2 Students share their views on school curriculum
- 3 Walden church open and taking part in Thy Kingdom Come
- 4 Operation Trespass will highlight drugs gangs cuckooing efforts
- 5 Uttlesford's shops still suffer from low footfall, Google data shows
- 6 Delight as books are donated to school's learning centre
- 7 New on-call firefighters have joined stations
- 8 Saffron Walden shakeup in county council elections
- 9 Dunmow and Stansted councillors not in new Essex County Council cabinet
- 10 Market Square event organisers "amazed" at popularity of dine-out event
Any witnesses have asked to contact the Serious Collision Investigation Unit on 101 or by e-mailing email@example.com
Any witnesses are asked to contact the Serious Collision Investigation Unit on 101 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org