Pensioner suffers burns after camping stove explosion
- Credit: Archant
A 70-year-old man suffered burns after a camping stove he was using during a power cut exploded.
Firefighters were called to Bell Lane, Great Bardfield, at around 9am this morning (Monday) after the explosion set light to the man’s kitchen.
One crew from Thaxted and another from Great Dunmow attended and firefighters used breathing apparatus and one hose reel jet to extinguish the fire by 9.40am.
The man suffered burns and the effects of smoke inhalation. He was left in the care of the ambulance service.
Divisional Officer Neil Fenwick issued a warning to residents.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “Incidents like this show the danger of lighting infrequently used gas stoves. Our best advice is never use a gas stove indoors, they not only pose a risk of explosion but could also lead to a build up of deadly carbon monoxide gas.”
- 1 Flexi parking ticket rolled out for hybrid commuters
- 2 Thaxted Gardening and Craft Show winners revealed
- 3 Saffron Walden actress Tamara Lee Smart to star as Marilyn Monroe for one night in rehearsed play reading
- 4 Festive Christmas markets to visit in Essex, 2021
- 5 Hatfield Heath air disaster memorial 'a symbol of UK-US unity'
- 6 Cash boost for plan to plant 350,000 trees in Essex
- 7 Saffron Striders take advantage of late summer warmth to stretch their legs far and wide
- 8 'Gastro-Glastonbury' Foodies Festival coming to Hylands Park in Chelmsford
- 9 'Don't replace our pub garden with housing', say Newport campaigners
- 10 'Do you enjoy singing and making new friends?' - Church holding taster session for its junior choir