Personal alarm prevents “terrible fire”

PUBLISHED: 11:15 21 October 2010

Fire

Fire

Archant

AN ELDERLY resident in Saffron Walden avoided a certain disaster when she used her personal alarm to contact the fire brigade.

FIREFIGHTERS were alerted to a blaze thanks to a personal alarm worn by an 83-year-old woman.

Two crews from Saffron Walden were called to a kitchen fire in Eastview Close just after 5pm on Wednesday.

Sub officer Nigel Webb said: “The woman discovered there was a fire in her kitchen when she heard her smoke alarm going off, she then used her personal alarm to call in the fire service.

“The combination of these two things meant that what could have been a terrible fire was in fact quickly extinguished with the minimum of damage.”

Crews extinguished the fire by within half an hour wearing two sets of breathing apparatus and using one hose.

The woman had suffered shock and mild smoke inhalation and was given oxygen therapy by crews. She was left in the care of the ambulance service.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Saffron Walden Reporter. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Saffron Walden Reporter