PICTURE GALLERY: Braintree man jumps out plane to raise money for mental health charity
- Credit: Archant
A man from Braintree who has battled mental illness most of his life completed a tandem parachute jump to raise money for charity.
Kevin Law, who has been diagnosed with personality disorder, anxiety and depression, did his tandem parachute in Headcorne airfield, Kent, last Saturday. (April 27)
He did it to raise money for Rethink Mental Illness, which he credits with helping him deal with his mental health problems.
Mr Law, 35, said: “Having mental illness for most of my life has been a struggle. But since I started going to Rethink Mental Illness’ art group in last year I have had a lot of support and made good friends.
“This is my way of saying ‘thank you’ to the staff at the charity and to raise awareness of mental health.”
You may also want to watch:
Kevin goes to the charity’s art group in Braintree, which encourages people with mental illness to express themselves through drawing and painting and to support each other.
Paul Jenkins, CEO of Rethink Mental Illness, said: “We’re delighted with Kevin’s efforts to raise money and awareness of this important issue.
- 1 Standon Calling called off after heavy rain and lightning risk
- 2 Updates after person hit by train near Cambridge
- 3 Revealed: UDC considers almost 300 possible new development sites
- 4 In pictures: Uttlesford pupils' fun before the summer holidays
- 5 Q&A: Former Uttlesford District Council leader Howard Rolfe
- 6 4 English Heritage events to enjoy at Audley End this summer
- 7 Person dies after being struck by train in Cambridge
- 8 Hailstones 'the size of golf balls' batter gardens in Essex
- 9 Roman ceramics and ancient road discovered in big archaeological dig
- 10 RAF Red Arrows and Typhoon dazzle crowds at Duxford Summer Air Show
“Severe mental illness can be devastating but Rethink Mental Illness is there to make a difference through offering information, advice and peer support. We also campaign for better services.
“As a charity, we are lucky to have so many dedicated supporters, like Kevin, who push themselves to the limit to raise money for us.”
Kevin hopes to raise £1,000 for Rethink Mental Illness and has so far raised over £600.
You can visit Kevin’s fundraising page on http://www.justgiving.com/KevinLaw
The Braintree Art Group meets every Tuesday from 1:00 – 4:00pm.
For more information about the group, please contact 01823 365 327, or email firstname.lastname@example.org