PICTURE GALLERY: Braintree man jumps out plane to raise money for mental health charity
- Credit: Archant
A man from Braintree who has battled mental illness most of his life completed a tandem parachute jump to raise money for charity.
Kevin Law, who has been diagnosed with personality disorder, anxiety and depression, did his tandem parachute in Headcorne airfield, Kent, last Saturday. (April 27)
He did it to raise money for Rethink Mental Illness, which he credits with helping him deal with his mental health problems.
Mr Law, 35, said: “Having mental illness for most of my life has been a struggle. But since I started going to Rethink Mental Illness’ art group in last year I have had a lot of support and made good friends.
“This is my way of saying ‘thank you’ to the staff at the charity and to raise awareness of mental health.”
You may also want to watch:
Kevin goes to the charity’s art group in Braintree, which encourages people with mental illness to express themselves through drawing and painting and to support each other.
Paul Jenkins, CEO of Rethink Mental Illness, said: “We’re delighted with Kevin’s efforts to raise money and awareness of this important issue.
- 1 Walden's new healthcare hub taking shape - as doctors surgery goes on market for £1.4m
- 2 Uttlesford's shops still suffer from low footfall, Google data shows
- 3 Dunmow and Stansted councillors not in new Essex County Council cabinet
- 4 First day at school after beating Covid-19 while being treated for cancer
- 5 Delight as books are donated to school's learning centre
- 6 Former Mayor looking forward to lockdown easing
- 7 Uttlesford District Council chief executive is stepping down
- 8 Neighbourhood Plan Referendum results
- 9 New on-call firefighters have joined stations
- 10 The Stansted couple on an #HDHike for Huntington's disease
“Severe mental illness can be devastating but Rethink Mental Illness is there to make a difference through offering information, advice and peer support. We also campaign for better services.
“As a charity, we are lucky to have so many dedicated supporters, like Kevin, who push themselves to the limit to raise money for us.”
Kevin hopes to raise £1,000 for Rethink Mental Illness and has so far raised over £600.
You can visit Kevin’s fundraising page on http://www.justgiving.com/KevinLaw
The Braintree Art Group meets every Tuesday from 1:00 – 4:00pm.
For more information about the group, please contact 01823 365 327, or email email@example.com