Picture gallery: Comedian Ed Byrne springs into action for best-ever St Clare raffle
- Credit: Archant
Comedian Ed Byrne dived into a yellow zorb to draw the winning ticket for the St Clare Spring Raffle, which has raised a record-breaking £32,251.
Submerged in more than 32,000 tickets, the Irish funnyman pulled Vera Morley’s name from the giant inflatable as St Clare staff, volunteers, patients and guests gathered in the Hospice courtyard to watch.
As the first prize winner, Mrs Morley, from Old Harlow, has won the keys to a brand new Ford Studio KA after we teamed up with local Ford dealership Gates of Harlow.
The second prize of £1,500 cash went to Vera Eley, from Harlow, while the third prize of £1,000 of holiday vouchers was won by Penny Hampson, one of the Specialist Palliative Care Nurses at the Hospice.
Ed, who lives with his family in Henham, said he was delighted to be invited to draw the Spring Raffle in support of his local Hospice.
You may also want to watch:
St Clare director of fundraising and marketing Elizabeth Palfreman said: “It was great to have Ed here at the hospice for the draw – he was such a good sport agreeing to get into the zorb to draw the winning ticket much to the delight of everyone who gathered to watch.
“We would like to say a huge congratulations to all three of our lucky winners and a big thank you to every single person who bought a ticket to help raise an incredible amount of money and make this year’s Spring Raffle our most successful ever.”
- 1 Kemi Badenoch MP secures new brief in September reshuffle
- 2 M11 targeted in week of motorway protests
- 3 Covid booster jab sessions due to start at Lord Butler
- 4 'We're not closing down day centres', says council
- 5 Andy Scott's Chornic Kidney Disease story
- 6 Libraries campaign group is concerned at consultation plan
- 7 Appeal to find Stansted teen, missing for five days
- 8 Astronomy: What to look for in the sky this September
- 9 Reporter wins award for Uttlesford news articles
- 10 Victorian Horses and riders wow at Audley End event
St Clare Hospice is a charity providing specialist care for people living with life-limiting illnesses in west Essex and east Herts border area.
The charity cares for patients and their families, providing physical, social, psychological and spiritual support. St Clare Hospice’s annual running costs total £2.8m, 70 per cent of which comes from voluntary income.