Picture gallery: Essex Motorcycle Show raises £5,000 for life-saving helicopter
- Credit: Archant
More than 3,000 bikers descended on North Weald Airfield, home of the Herts Air Ambulance, for the Essex Motorcycle Show.
Sponsored by ICE Patch, the event raised over £5,000 for the life-saving helicopter ... making it the most successful show to date.
The show, now in its ninth year, was held at Weald Aviation at North Weald Airfield for the very first time, which also was the finish point for the Herts Air Ambulance Motorcycle Run on the same day.
There was plenty of entertainment to amuse the crowds including live music, motorcycle gymkhana for riders to test their riding dexterity, and 45 trade stands by major manufacturers.
Essex Police launched its ‘Bike Safe’ season with many signing up to take advantage of the workshops (bikesafe-essex.co.uk).
The event also saw the official media launch of the 15th annual Essex Air Ambulance Motorcycle Run, on Sunday, September 7 and the Essex Casualty Reduction Board ‘Hugger Essex’ Campaign.
Wendy Marcon-Knightley, sponsorship and events manager for Essex & Herts Air Ambulance Trust was joined by headline sponsors Woodland Group and Jack Lilley Motorcycles for official photographs.
- 1 A giant snail, sporting success and other school news
- 2 Long queues at Peterborough passport office ahead of holiday season
- 3 Saffron Walden seal first win of EAPL season at Frinton
- 4 Obituary: On-call firefighter dedicated life to community
- 5 New Mayors and deputies in Saffron Walden and Great Dunmow
- 6 Met Office weather: Yellow storm and flood warning for East of England
- 7 Voting together: Lib Dems and Greens join forces
- 8 Pictures: Hundreds take part in Saffron Walden Jubilee walk
- 9 SWCC girls U13 come close to victory
- 10 Saffron Walden triathlon a success as it returns to usual May date
Volunteers were on hand at the Essex Air Ambulance stand to sign people up for the Essex Air Ambulance Motorcycle Run and over 100 bikers took the opportunity to pre-register.
The Essex County Council Road Safety Team, Essex Police and Essex Fire and rescue are working in partnership to promote Essex Hugger.
Hugger, who is named after a rear mudguard, has been launched on the back of alarming statistics that show motorcyclists make up only around 1 pre cent of traffic on Essex roads, yet represent a 26 per cent of people killed or seriously injured.
The campaign aims to increase motorcycle safety on Essex Roads, and ultimately reduce the number of deaths and serious injuries among motorcyclists.
Ms Marcon-Knightley, sponsorship and events manager of Essex and Herts Air Ambulance Trust, said: “We are delighted with the runaway success of this year’s Essex Motorcycle Show, working in partnership with Essex Police. I
“t was so encouraging to see over 3,000 bikers turn out on a Bank Holiday weekend to support the event, making it the best show yet! The show raises vital funds for Essex Air Ambulance and an incredible £5,000 was raised on the day.
“Thank you to Weald Aviation, our sponsors Ice Patch, all the exhibitors, and our partners for the Motorcycle Run and to the motorcycle community for their continued dedication and support towards the county’s life-saving Helicopter Emergency Medical Service.”
• To pre-register for the Essex Air Ambulance Motorcycle Run, visit EssexAirAmbulance.uk.com.