Picture gallery: Getting filthy at Spains Hall with the Mucky Races
- Credit: Archant
Scramble nets, tyre piles and pits full of mud and water ... it could only have been the Mucky Races.
The popular annual race returned to Spains Hall, Finchingfield on Sunday, with more than 1,000 taking part and almost the same number cheering them on.
Organised by Norfolk-based Mucky Races, ‘The Gauntlet’ took runners through either a 6km or 12km mud run, pitting them against a range of obstacles around the diverse country estate.
Mass warm-up sessions took place at the start of the race, which was professionally timed, and there was a selection of hot food and drinks to keep energy levels high.
Stuart Crow, general manager for Spains Hall, said: “This is the third mud running event we’ve held and each year it is getting more and more popular.
You may also want to watch:
“The race was enjoyed by people of all ages, from the young to the young at heart, and the spirit of support and camaraderie was fantastic as people helped each other through the myriad of mud, obstacles, water and, yes, more mud!”
Spains Hall, the family home of the Ruggles-Brise family, will be hosting another mud run in September. Called ‘The Essex Yomp’, the event will be in aid of the services charity Walking With The Wounded.
- 1 Walden fire: Resident has died
- 2 Walden war historian on the inspiration behind his latest book
- 3 Revealed: why some Uttlesford car park machines no longer take cash
- 4 Emergency funding for Essex care homes amid 'acute' staff shortages
- 5 Researchers collaborate with students in protein art project
- 6 First birthday celebrations for Railway Arms in community ownership
- 7 Award-winning jazz singer Clare Teal and her sextet to play concert at Cambridge Arts Theatre
- 8 Cambridge Film Festival returns for its 40th outing
- 9 Walden's Crocus Medical Practice opens within community hospital
- 10 County council promises arts boost for Essex
The estate will also be supporting a number of events, including offering car parking and camping as the Tour De France passes through Finchingfield in July.
For more information, visit spainshall.co.uk.