Picture gallery: Getting filthy at Spains Hall with the Mucky Races
- Credit: Archant
Scramble nets, tyre piles and pits full of mud and water ... it could only have been the Mucky Races.
The popular annual race returned to Spains Hall, Finchingfield on Sunday, with more than 1,000 taking part and almost the same number cheering them on.
Organised by Norfolk-based Mucky Races, ‘The Gauntlet’ took runners through either a 6km or 12km mud run, pitting them against a range of obstacles around the diverse country estate.
Mass warm-up sessions took place at the start of the race, which was professionally timed, and there was a selection of hot food and drinks to keep energy levels high.
Stuart Crow, general manager for Spains Hall, said: “This is the third mud running event we’ve held and each year it is getting more and more popular.
You may also want to watch:
“The race was enjoyed by people of all ages, from the young to the young at heart, and the spirit of support and camaraderie was fantastic as people helped each other through the myriad of mud, obstacles, water and, yes, more mud!”
Spains Hall, the family home of the Ruggles-Brise family, will be hosting another mud run in September. Called ‘The Essex Yomp’, the event will be in aid of the services charity Walking With The Wounded.
- 1 Walden club requests you donate your unwanted tools
- 2 Holidaymakers fly abroad again out of Stansted Airport
- 3 Award for carpentry apprentice who follows her father into the industry
- 4 Mayor presents vouchers to help foodbank clients
- 5 Saffron Walden shakeup in county council elections
- 6 Hoarding can cause higher risk of fire, says emergency service
- 7 Further registrars speak out in wedding consultation row
- 8 Dunmow and Stansted councillors not in new Essex County Council cabinet
- 9 Neighbourhood Plan Referendum results
- 10 Walden's new healthcare hub taking shape - as doctors surgery goes on market for £1.4m
The estate will also be supporting a number of events, including offering car parking and camping as the Tour De France passes through Finchingfield in July.
For more information, visit spainshall.co.uk.