Picture gallery: Great fun at the Saffron Walden 2013 Dance in the Square
- Credit: Archant
SAFFRON Walden grooved to the sounds of soul, funk, pop and rock at the 11th annual Dance in the Square event on Saturday.
It had rained almost all day and then, miraculously, the rain stopped just as the Mind the Gao band started to play. The rain then held off until the very last number was ending.
Peter Riding, chairman of the Saffron Walden Initiative that organised the event, said: “The rain during the day had obviously put some people off from coming to the Square, but for the couple of hundred or so who did come a great time was had by all ages.
“Mind the Gap certainly lived up to their reputation as being a dynamic party band who always get people dancing with their mix of soul, funk, pop and rock.
“The Initiative is proud to be able to put on these free community events.
“It’s important to emphasise these dances cannot happen without the many volunteers who prepare the square at the beginning and then clear everything away at the end.”
The cost was largely covered by grants from Saffron Walden Town Council and Uttlesford District Council and sponsorship from FM&C Saffron Walden Solicitors, Harts, Mullucks Wells, Ridgeons, Saffron Walden Laundry and Waitrose. On the night the event was supported by a hog roast from the Giggly Pig, Nigel Sault’s Mobile Coffee and drinks from a Kings Arms stall.
- 1 Eight things we learned from the prime minister's briefing
- 2 Stansted Airport calls for residents' views on solar transformation plan
- 3 Saffron Walden County High School student launches campaign for a 'Quiet Room'
- 4 Will there be a White Christmas in Essex this year?
- 5 Walden has late night shopping and musicians
- 6 Saffron Walden a contender in Britain's Favourite Market vote
- 7 Music therapy top honour includes Walden's Together in Sound
- 8 Advent begins in Saffron Walden on Sunday
- 9 Case of new Omicron Covid variant identified in Essex
- 10 Students bring cheer to senior citizens through Christmas Buddy Scheme
If anyone has suggestions for bands or would like to help organise future dance events, contact Mr Riding on 01799 502355 or firstname.lastname@example.org