Picture gallery: IWM Duxford’s February half-term activities delight visitors
- Credit: Archant
February half-term activities at Imperial War Museum Duxford have proved a hit with visitors of all ages – despite a temporary closure at the weekend.
Structural damage was caused to the roof of AirSpace following high winds last Friday night (February 14). The museum was closed over the weekend while repairs were carried out before the tourist attraction was partially re-opened to visitors.
Half-term activities have been running since Tuesday and have proved to be very popular.
A spokesman for the museum said: “We’re delighted to see so many visitors for our half-term activities, particularly after our temporary closure at the weekend.
“In our Battle of Britain exhibition, visitors have enjoyed making simple but very effective paper and straw aeroplanes – they’ve been whizzing around all over the building. Children have also enjoyed making their own badge designs, seeing them made into real badges and wearing them proudly as they explore the museum.
You may also want to watch:
“In the American Air Museum, visitors have been hearing about Big Week, the bombing campaign that led the way for the D-Day invasion. Using the legendary B-17 Flying Fortress, Dakota and P-47 Thunderbolt aircraft in the American Air Museum, our historical interpreter has enthralled visitors with personal stories about the men who undertook the missions.”
Half-term activities take place daily until Sunday (February 23).
- 1 Walden club requests you donate your unwanted tools
- 2 Holidaymakers fly abroad again out of Stansted Airport
- 3 Award for carpentry apprentice who follows her father into the industry
- 4 Mayor presents vouchers to help foodbank clients
- 5 Hoarding can cause higher risk of fire, says emergency service
- 6 Saffron Walden shakeup in county council elections
- 7 Neighbourhood Plan Referendum results
- 8 Further registrars speak out in wedding consultation row
- 9 Dunmow and Stansted councillors not in new Essex County Council cabinet
- 10 'No link' between postponed Essex weddings and registrars’ consultation
Interactive talks take place in the American Air Museum at 10.30am, 11.15am, noon, 1.30pm, 2.15pm and 3pm.
Craft activities take place in the Battle of Britain exhibition from 10.30am to 2.30pm.
IWM Duxford is open with the exception of the AirSpace exhibition and the Visitor Centre. Admission prices have been reduced to £12 for adults and £10 for seniors. Admission for children aged 15 and under is free.