Picture gallery: Linton Zoo doing a roaring trade in big cat bedding... and zebra poo
- Credit: Archant
Linton Zoo has been using a novel way to raise funds for the conservation projects it supports.
As part of its recycling and ‘go green’ policy, the popular tourist attraction has been doing a roaring trade in big cat bedding and exotic hoof stock dung.
Zoo director Kim Simmons explains: “The big cat bedding seems to work very well as natural pest repellent, with reports that it’s effective with cats, rabbits, badgers, foxes and deer.
“So for those of you who don’t want your neighbours’ cat or local deer rooting around your prize winning flower garden try a bag of straw taken from a big cats bedrooms, the smell of which could scare off even the bravest cat in the neighbourhood!”
She added: “Our special zebra and tapir poo composting mix is great to enrich your garden and encourage the growth of healthy plants, beautiful blooms and bumper vegetable crops the environmentally friendly way.
You may also want to watch:
“Tapirs are important forest seed dispersers so their dung is effectively ‘Zoo poo surprise’. We have found melons, pumpkins, kiwi, raspberries and even date palms popping up in our gardens. Despite this our plants thrive in soil enriched with our homemade compost.”
For a minimum donation of £1 per bag, it’s also helping the zoo to raise vital funds for its wildlife charities.
- 1 Essex village celebrates 1,000 years of memories with new archive
- 2 Venue change for Ibiza Anthems Garden Party to Saffron Walden
- 3 Spurs partnership with Walden clubs is a first in UK
- 4 In pictures: Saffron Walden's weekend of flooding
- 5 Cows rescued after A120 collision
- 6 In pictures: Classic cars rally to celebrate the Royal British Legion at 100
- 7 Updates after person hit by train near Cambridge
- 8 Stansted Airport's summer getaway flight figures
- 9 In pictures: Uttlesford pupils' fun before the summer holidays
- 10 This week's paper: Saffron Walden Reporter on July 29, 2021
The big cat bedding and zoo poo can be picked up at the front gate. If you are making a special trip out, call first for availability, on 01223 891308 or e-mail email@example.com