Picture gallery: Saffron Walden Horticultural Society Summer Show
The show was held at the Golden Acre Community Centre, Ross Close, o nSaturday.
Robin Crouchman won Best Bloom with his rose ‘Irresistible’. Visitors also enjoyed the delphiniums, sweet peas with their delicate scent, clematis blooms and orchids, planted containers and pot plants.
The floral arrangement - this time was entitled ‘London Olympics 2012’ - interpreted with Olympic symbols, competitors in different sports, and Olympic torches with flower ‘flames’, represented by orange flower spikes. This was won by Kath Bartram.
The fruit and vegetables on show included rhubarb and gooseberries, herbs, broad beans and spring onions. A collection of ‘4 kinds of vegetables’ won first prize for Hamish Davidson.
A tempting array of home cooking including chocolate cakes, lemon meringue pies, and loaves of savoury bread, selections of biscuits, jam and lemon curd was on show in the Domestic Section, as well as cross stitch and tapestry pictures, crochet, photography and sketches.
You may also want to watch:
John Bullen won first prize in the framed photograph class with his ‘Water Lily’ study.
In the junior classes, the entries included flower arrangements of roses and garden flowers in pots. The winning self portrait was by Aleyna Norton. The prize for best exhibit was presented to Becky Leeman for her dressed wooden spoon
- 1 Tracking Covid at the Sanger Institute
- 2 Awards for pandemic heroes launched
- 3 Buses replace trains while train tracks are replaced
- 4 Contractors arrive for £1.25m sports facility works
- 5 Electric cars for SMT GB staff
- 6 Saffron Striders celebrate achievements in challenging season
- 7 Covid jab success in North Uttlesford
- 8 Robbers leave with hundreds of pounds after threatening business staff
- 9 Free vegetarian meal service launched
- 10 Council responds to unflattering comments
• The Autumn Horticultural Show will be held on September 22 at Golden Acre Community Centre, at 2pm.