Picture gallery: Saffron Walden Horticultural Society Summer Show
The show was held at the Golden Acre Community Centre, Ross Close, o nSaturday.
Robin Crouchman won Best Bloom with his rose ‘Irresistible’. Visitors also enjoyed the delphiniums, sweet peas with their delicate scent, clematis blooms and orchids, planted containers and pot plants.
The floral arrangement - this time was entitled ‘London Olympics 2012’ - interpreted with Olympic symbols, competitors in different sports, and Olympic torches with flower ‘flames’, represented by orange flower spikes. This was won by Kath Bartram.
The fruit and vegetables on show included rhubarb and gooseberries, herbs, broad beans and spring onions. A collection of ‘4 kinds of vegetables’ won first prize for Hamish Davidson.
A tempting array of home cooking including chocolate cakes, lemon meringue pies, and loaves of savoury bread, selections of biscuits, jam and lemon curd was on show in the Domestic Section, as well as cross stitch and tapestry pictures, crochet, photography and sketches.
You may also want to watch:
John Bullen won first prize in the framed photograph class with his ‘Water Lily’ study.
In the junior classes, the entries included flower arrangements of roses and garden flowers in pots. The winning self portrait was by Aleyna Norton. The prize for best exhibit was presented to Becky Leeman for her dressed wooden spoon
- 1 Kemi Badenoch MP secures new brief in September reshuffle
- 2 'We're not closing down day centres', says council
- 3 Libraries campaign group is concerned at consultation plan
- 4 Circuit star William Gilbank sets sights on professional sport
- 5 Essex Austin Seven Club takes in Saffron Walden on tour
- 6 Cambs and Essex academy trust wins prestigious award
- 7 Appeal to find Stansted teen, missing for five days
- 8 Saffron Walden triathletes doing themselves and their clubs proud at championships
- 9 More restrictions set to be scrapped in Boris Johnson's winter Covid plan
- 10 Dramatic pictures show extent of three north-west Essex farm fires
• The Autumn Horticultural Show will be held on September 22 at Golden Acre Community Centre, at 2pm.