Picture gallery: Saffron Walden raises cash for Sport Relief
- Credit: Archant
Schools, businesses and individuals from the Reporter area dug deep to raise thousands of pounds for Sport Relief. Here’s our round up....
• Ten-year-olds Seb Paxton and Alfie Slade, who both attend RA Butler Academy in Saffron Walden ,took to their bikes on Saturday for Sports Relief. They completed a mammoth 14-mile route in about an hour and a half, spurred on by the thought of having raised over £400 for such a good cause.
Alfie said: “It was hard work and cold but it was worth it”. Seb added: “We are pleased to have been able to help children who are not as fortunate as us. We would like to thank everyone who kindly sponsored us.”
• Chesterford Research Park’s hit a home run for Sports Relief raising £770
About 50 participants, the majority in fancy dress, took part in the Sport Relief Mile race at lunchtime, which resulted in a tie for first place between Justin Westall, the park’s maintenance engineer, and Chris Brankin, process engineer at Isogenica.
You may also want to watch:
Team members from security, catering, maintenance and the gym all took part.
• Dame Bradbury’s School raised over £720 for Sport Relief. However, the figure was raised last November when Commonwealth gymnast Danny Lawrence visited the school to lead some sponsored sporting events for the children.
- 1 Villagers launch bid to raise £200,000 for 14th-century church paintings
- 2 Outdoor spaces help Uttlesford reclaim some normality
- 3 'Gastro-Glastonbury' Foodies Festival coming to Hylands Park in Chelmsford
- 4 Festive Christmas markets to visit in Essex, 2021
- 5 'Don't replace our pub garden with housing', say Newport campaigners
- 6 Robin Hood pantomime to celebrate Harlow Playhouse's 50th birthday this Christmas
- 7 Purse stolen from shopper's bag in Aldi supermarket, Walden
- 8 National award and recognition for work of a laughter specialist
- 9 Saffron Walden book giveaway on The Lorax's 50th birthday
- 10 'Not now, Bernard' - Children's concert to open Saffron Walden Symphony Orchestra's new season
• Thaxted Primary School children paid 50p to come to school dressed as their sporting hero. The money they collected was put on a banner. The school raised just over £160.
• Farnham Primary School near Stansted on Friday (21 March). Children were sponsored to do various sport activities and so far over £160 has been raised.
• Henham and Ugley Primary School children from Years 1-6 dressed in their favourite sports clothes and ran a mile, while the very youngest children, from Nursery and Reception, enjoyed a ‘Dance Off’ in the school hall.
Over £280 was raised.
•Over 80 people the Sports Relief Mile at Great Chesterfords Community centre on Sunday to raise over £450. It was a fantastic turn out and some great outfits – even the dogs got a medal.