Picture gallery: Sport Relief Swimathon makes a big splash in Saffron Walden
- Credit: Archant
Swimmers in Saffron Walden made a massive splash for charity by taking part in the Sainsbury’s Sport Relief Swimathon.
Thirty people took the plunge themselves, or took part with family and friends, to complete a swimming challenge of their choice, be it 200m or 5k, all while raising funds for those in need.
Beckie Reynolds, deputy contract manager at Lord Butler, added: “Swimathon 2014 was a huge success. It was great to see so many members of the community take in this fantastic fundraising event and make 2014 even more memorable for sport.
“The event’s ability to provide challenging swims and raise money for great causes remains as strong as ever.”
The Swimathon took place at over 600 pools across the UK and added to the countrywide Sport Relief effort.
You may also want to watch:
More than £51m was raised on Friday’s live BBC Sport Relief show, beating the record £50.4m raised during the last show two years ago.
And the fundraising continued across the country over the weekend in a bid to break the 2012 overall total of £67,977,824.
- 1 An afternoon at the Proms for Mountfitchet House residents
- 2 Chelmsford bypass 'could provide strategic link' to Stansted Airport
- 3 First 'building block' of Harlow town centre major regeneration approved
- 4 Church praises members for 'fantastic' Harvest Time generosity
- 5 Nursery school faces 'imminent closure' without cash boost
- 6 Minute silence at council meeting for 'kind-hearted' Uttlesford officer
- 7 David Walliams’ Gangsta Granny coming to Cambridge stage
- 8 Jets and Falcons fly out of Stansted after their NFL London showdown
- 9 Tributes pour in after death of Essex MP Sir David Amess
- 10 Council to debate 'underperforming' planning service
Money raised will go to Sport Relief to help people living tough lives both here in the UK and around the world.
To see what other Sport Relief events took place in the area, turn to pages 10-11.