Picture gallery: Village’s horticultural show takes on London 2012 Olympics theme
CLAVERING Village Hall was turned into a riot of colour for the annual Horticultural Show on Saturday.
The event was very well attended and the standard of entries was “excellent”, according to judge Ron Eldred.
Despite the extreme weather of the past month, the vegetable section was well stocked and the flowers and plants looked great while the cooking section, including wines and preserves, expanded this year with more men entering the cake and bread competitions.
The vegetable ‘monsters’ created by the children were impressive, with Elliot Wood winning first prize, and this year the drawings took on a 2012 Olympics theme. That theme was also echoed in the ‘Big Ben with Olympic rings’ award-winning floral display by Sarah Perkins.
The main focus of the show was still the wide range of flowers and presenting the magnificent vegetables produced by the residents.
You may also want to watch:
The prestigious Clavering Cup was awarded to Ken Peck, the Society Award to Malcolm Smither and the Luff Cup for the vegetable section to Alan Gilbertson.
- 1 Outdoor spaces help Uttlesford reclaim some normality
- 2 Villagers launch bid to raise £200,000 for 14th-century church paintings
- 3 'Gastro-Glastonbury' Foodies Festival coming to Hylands Park in Chelmsford
- 4 Festive Christmas markets to visit in Essex, 2021
- 5 'Don't replace our pub garden with housing', say Newport campaigners
- 6 Robin Hood pantomime to celebrate Harlow Playhouse's 50th birthday this Christmas
- 7 Hatfield Heath air disaster memorial 'a symbol of UK-US unity'
- 8 National award and recognition for work of a laughter specialist
- 9 Purse stolen from shopper's bag in Aldi supermarket, Walden
- 10 Saffron Walden book giveaway on The Lorax's 50th birthday