Picture gallery: Village’s horticultural show takes on London 2012 Olympics theme
CLAVERING Village Hall was turned into a riot of colour for the annual Horticultural Show on Saturday.
The event was very well attended and the standard of entries was “excellent”, according to judge Ron Eldred.
Despite the extreme weather of the past month, the vegetable section was well stocked and the flowers and plants looked great while the cooking section, including wines and preserves, expanded this year with more men entering the cake and bread competitions.
The vegetable ‘monsters’ created by the children were impressive, with Elliot Wood winning first prize, and this year the drawings took on a 2012 Olympics theme. That theme was also echoed in the ‘Big Ben with Olympic rings’ award-winning floral display by Sarah Perkins.
The main focus of the show was still the wide range of flowers and presenting the magnificent vegetables produced by the residents.
The prestigious Clavering Cup was awarded to Ken Peck, the Society Award to Malcolm Smither and the Luff Cup for the vegetable section to Alan Gilbertson.
- 1 How Malcolm's work is having an impact in Uttlesford
- 2 Fears that Covid may cause Essex hospital staffing to get ‘very difficult’
- 3 Supermarkets issue urgent product recall after salmonella found in products
- 4 Vandals thought to have targeted around 30 vehicles in 'keying' spree
- 5 Teen arrested after alleged disturbance inside Saffron Walden Costcutter
- 6 School pictures: Maths workshops for parents and a museum visit
- 7 Delighted Walden photography winner unveils her new business
- 8 Cliff Parisi on Call the Midwife's 10th Christmas special
- 9 EastEnders' Adam Woodyatt and Laurie Brett reunited on stage in Looking Good Dead at Cambridge Arts Theatre
- 10 Fire crews tackle M11 car blaze