Picture special: Saffron Walden’s main Diamond Jubilee event was ‘excellent occasion’
HOARDS of people packed out Saffron Walden Common on Monday as the town’s Jubilee spectacular culminated in the ceremonial lighting of the beacon.
Mayor David Watson said it had been an excellent weekend from start to finish – beginning with a 60s beat dance in the Market Square on Saturday and ending with the lighting of one of 4,200 beacons up and down the country.
“The people of Saffron Walden turned out in their hundreds over the course of the weekend and were clearly determined to have a great time,” he told the Reporter.
“Despite the weather I think everyone was in the mood to celebrate the Diamond Jubilee in style. It was an excellent occasion and I hope people enjoyed themselves. We’re now looking forward to the next one in 10 years’ time.”
Almost 1,000 people gathered on the Common, where there was also a scintillating acrobatic show by the Black Eagles and 60 fireworks to mark each year of the Queen’s reign.
You may also want to watch:
• To buy your souvenir photos from the day click on the myphotos24 icon on the homepage.
- 1 Walden fire: Resident has died
- 2 Walden documentary maker inspires students with astronomy animation
- 3 Walden's Crocus Medical Practice opens within community hospital
- 4 Official opening held for new air ambulance base
- 5 Affinity in hot water with residents after sediment build-up in homes
- 6 Juniors the toast of Saffron Walden Golf Club after double championship success
- 7 Dedicated children's hospital set for Cambridge
- 8 Review: Groan Ups is 'like a student sketch show stretched out over two hours'
- 9 Nursery school faces 'imminent closure' without cash boost
- 10 5 of the best wedding venues in Essex