Pictures: Paul Weller rocks Audley End
- Credit: Archant
The Modfather Paul Weller rocked Audley End on Saturday night as the summer concert series began with a bang.
Revellers enjoyed a warm evening in the park as The Jam frontman showcased a mixture of classics and his new material.
Town Called Malice, Start and Friday Street boomed out from the arena, while people got to savour the day with a picnic after organisers relented on the original decision to ban them.
Tony Pitts, from Saffron Walden, said: “The sound was perfect both at stage-side and on the hill.
“Paul Weller has a large back catalogue of classic songs to draw from, however at no time were we watching a greatest hits tour – this was a concert of past present and possible future classics.”
He added: “One or two of the older section of the crowd were baying for more of The Jam but the rest of us didn’t mind what he played.
“Collectively we all wished he could have carried on a lot longer! Great voice, tremendous band, good stage lighting, full picnic basket...now that’s entertainment!”
- 1 New vehicles to catch Essex's criminals on the county's fast roads
- 2 Government accused of 'grotesque waste of taxpayers' money' after Stansted flight
- 3 Sir Tom Jones to play Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens in Saffron Walden
- 4 Creamfields South Chelmsford 2022 line-up announced for Hylands Park
- 5 Uttlesford District Council row over £4m 'black hole'
- 6 Plan to ease congestion at M11 junction 8 gets underway
- 7 Miss Disco's Valentine's date with fans at Saffron Walden's football club
- 8 In pictures: Burns Night at Walden's The Railway Arms
- 9 How to hold a street party for the Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 10 Celebrating 20th anniversary of Harry Potter at Saffron Screen
Here are some of the photos sent to us by our readers...