Pictures: Princess Royal makes flying visit to open Manuden homes
- Credit: Archant
Royal well-wishers were today blown away by the visit of Her Royal Highness Princess Anne, who arrived by helicopter to open Manuden’s new affordable housing development.
The Queen’s only daughter paid a flying visit to cut the ribbon for four affordable homes on David Collins Drive, which have enabled the funding and construction of a £1.6million community centre at the heart of the village.
After landing on the new football pitches - built as part of the deal struck by developers Pelham Structures - the English Rural Housing Association patron was shown around the new home of Elizabeth and Christopher Hannington, and presented with a poesy of flowers by daughter Amelie.
The royal visitor also planted a tree next to one of the houses, and enjoyed a buffet lunch at the new Manuden community centre.
“It was a perfect day,” said Manuden parish council chairman John Archer.
“It was a brilliant, the weather really helped. We did wonder though if she’d be blown off the land, it was so windy!”
He added: “She was very friendly, and very knowledgeable about rural housing.”
- 1 Essex A-level results 2022: Students celebrate grades
- 2 Essex fire crews tackle around 70 incidents in three-hour window after rain
- 3 Sully, 12, cuts hair for charity after Greggs-inspired outfit goes viral
- 4 Celebrity MasterChef 2022: Saffron Walden's Cliff Parisi battles Chris Eubank in kitchen contest
- 5 Newport man vows to protect river after round the world sailing trip
- 6 'Do not eat' - Lidl recalls product over bacteria fears
- 7 IN PICTURES: Sir Tom Jones' Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens
- 8 Love Essex campaign joins forces to fight litter
- 9 Dance in the Square heading to Saffron Walden
- 10 Recap: Tree on the tracks disrupts London, Stansted and Cambridge trains
Councillor Julie Redfern, cabinet member for housing at Uttlesford District Council, said: “This is wonderful news for Manuden and the whole of Uttlesford.
“The visit by HRH The Princess Royal to officially open these much-needed affordable homes is a fitting way to acknowledge the work that has gone in to this ground-breaking project.”