Pioneering hydrogen fuel trial ready for Stansted take off
PIONEERING new green fuel technology that could drive down emissions and power airport vehicles of the future will be unveiled at London Stansted this Spring.
Britain’s third busiest airport will be the first UK company to test a new hydrogen refuelling system (HFuel) and two specially adapted vehicles as part of ITM Power’s nationwide Hydrogen On Site Trials programme (HOST).
Stansted Airport’s head of health, safety and environment Dr Andy Jefferson said: “Environmental management at London Stansted is critical to the sustainability of our business and is an issue that we take extremely seriously, so we’re delighted to be working with ITM Power and launch their ground-breaking Hydrogen On Site Trial project at the airport.
“We are extremely proud of the fact that air quality levels at Stansted are lower than the limits set by the EU. It is by continually focusing on our environmental performance that we will be able to maintain and improve those levels further.
“The project with ITM is a key part of this strategy and by working in partnership with them, we can evaluate whether hydrogen is a viable alternative fuel for airport vehicles.”
You may also want to watch:
The HOST program provides each partner with a one week free trial of the HFuel system and two Transit vans. The results are expected to play a key role in demonstrating the potential and development of ITM Power’s hydrogen fuel technology.
CEO of ITM Power Dr Graham Cooley added: “HOST will be the largest multi-sector trial of hydrogen refuelling for transport in the UK, involving 20 major partner organisations. Airports are perfect locations for trialling return to base hydrogen refuelling and we are delighted that London Stansted airport will be the location from which we launch the HOST program.”
- 1 'Don't replace our pub garden with housing', say Newport campaigners
- 2 National award and recognition for work of a laughter specialist
- 3 Purse stolen from shopper's bag in Aldi supermarket, Walden
- 4 Delight as triathlon returns to Saffron Walden for 20th edition
- 5 Eco Market celebrates Essex's eco businesses on Great Big Green Week
- 6 Mencap 'thank you' for Dig It community allotment
- 7 Kemi Badenoch MP secures new brief in September reshuffle
- 8 Reporter wins award for Uttlesford news articles
- 9 New cup and pavilion are dedicated to memory of Colin Bazley
- 10 Strong start for Saffron Walden as competitive rugby returns with a bang.
Stansted’s testing programme will begin on March 7, with a special launch event taking place at the airport’s Hilton Hotel on the March 8.
During the trial, hydrogen produced by the on-site HFuel system will power the two Ford Transit vans. These vehicles will form part of the airport’s fleet and will be assessed by staff under every-day driving conditions.