Plans for museum redevelopment are unveiled
- Credit: Archant
AN application for the redevelopment of Braintree District Museum has been submitted to the planning authority.
The museum’s trust has launched its plans – which will be phased over three years – to improve the museum for residents and tourists alike.
Amongst the scheme is to:
• Create a multi-purpose exhibition, display, meeting and talks gallery with a large mezzanine floor for the display of museum collections
• Introduce a new local history gallery
• Build an interactive natural history gallery, focused on John Ray
• Refurbish the Victorian classroom
- 1 Wenden Junior Cricket Club embrace new cricket season
- 2 How well do you know the Gibson Library?
- 3 Committee and president appointed for Elsenham WI
- 4 Can you complete the Census 2021 map game?
- 5 Saffron Walden draw positives at Witham
- 6 Smoke plume in village near Cambridge thought to be car fire
- 7 Uttlesford new development could be triple the size of one refused
- 8 Stansted Airport and Cambridge trains disrupted after tree falls on tracks
- 9 Delayed Local Plan sparks Uttlesford development fears
- 10 Solar farm application decision is deferred
• Open a new Schools Room
• Expand the existing catering facilities
• Design a John Ray inspired garden
• A visible Shop and entrance closer to the Town Centre
• A new entrance to the site opened north to south between Museum Walk and
Manor Street, to raise the profile of the Museum
John McKee, chairman of the museum trust said: “The Trustees and staff are keen to use the launch of the Scheme as an opportunity to start the consultation with local people and organisations on the development of their Museum. The build project will be phased over three years to allow for fundraising and to maintain services as far as possible throughout the works. The current estimated cost is over £1m.”
The initial Museum scheme design has been funded by a Community Capital Grant of £8,000 from the Essex County Council Big Society Fund that aims to enhance community assets. Further information on the Fund can be found at essex.gov.uk/bigsocietyfund
For further information please contact John McKee on 07917 630323 or firstname.lastname@example.org