Police are treating a fire which destroyed two cars as arson
- Credit: Archant
Police are treating a fire which destroyed two cars in the early hours of today (Friday) as arson.
Fire crews from Saffron Walden were called to the incident, at around 1am this morning, at Hadleigh Court, just off Carnation Drive.
A Volkswagon Polo, parked in the private carpark of the flats, was set alight and the fire then spread to a Ford Transit van, a Kia Carens and a Nissan Primastar.
The blaze destroyed the two cars and one of the vans is likely to be written off.
One fire crew from Saffron Walden attended the scene but a second was soon called on due to the additional manpower and water needed to tackle the flames.
You may also want to watch:
The fire crews used three hose reel jets of water backed up by a nearby fire hydrant and two firefighters were deployed with breathing apparatus to extinguish the fire.
Saffron Walden Police and paramedics were also at the scene.
- 1 Kemi Badenoch MP secures new brief in September reshuffle
- 2 Reporter wins award for Uttlesford news articles
- 3 M11 targeted in week of motorway protests
- 4 'We're not closing down day centres', says council
- 5 Covid booster jab sessions due to start at Lord Butler
- 6 Andy Scott's Chornic Kidney Disease story
- 7 Libraries campaign group is concerned at consultation plan
- 8 Victorian Horses and riders wow at Audley End event
- 9 Appeal to find Stansted teen, missing for five days
- 10 Astronomy: What to look for in the sky this September
An Essex Police spokesperson said: “Police are investigating an arson which happened in Carnation Drive, Saffron Walden at around 1am today.
“Anyone with information are urged to contact the Saffron Walden police on 101 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.”
Police are making attempts to contact the owners of the damaged vehicles.