Police are treating a fire which destroyed two cars as arson
- Credit: Archant
Police are treating a fire which destroyed two cars in the early hours of today (Friday) as arson.
Fire crews from Saffron Walden were called to the incident, at around 1am this morning, at Hadleigh Court, just off Carnation Drive.
A Volkswagon Polo, parked in the private carpark of the flats, was set alight and the fire then spread to a Ford Transit van, a Kia Carens and a Nissan Primastar.
The blaze destroyed the two cars and one of the vans is likely to be written off.
One fire crew from Saffron Walden attended the scene but a second was soon called on due to the additional manpower and water needed to tackle the flames.
You may also want to watch:
The fire crews used three hose reel jets of water backed up by a nearby fire hydrant and two firefighters were deployed with breathing apparatus to extinguish the fire.
Saffron Walden Police and paramedics were also at the scene.
- 1 First business to sponsor Walden's Dance in the Square 2021
- 2 Neighbourhood Plan Referendum results
- 3 The Stansted couple on an #HDHike for Huntington's disease
- 4 Lockdown easing: Saffron Walden Museum to reopen on May 20
- 5 Uttlesford District Council chief executive is stepping down
- 6 Lana's efforts help to feed the community
- 7 Saffron Walden shakeup in county council elections
- 8 Local elections 2021: UDC ward results for Newport and The Sampfords
- 9 Roger Hirst remains in place in Police, Fire and Crime Commissioner elections
- 10 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
An Essex Police spokesperson said: “Police are investigating an arson which happened in Carnation Drive, Saffron Walden at around 1am today.
“Anyone with information are urged to contact the Saffron Walden police on 101 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.”
Police are making attempts to contact the owners of the damaged vehicles.