Police are treating a fire which destroyed two cars as arson
- Credit: Archant
Police are treating a fire which destroyed two cars in the early hours of today (Friday) as arson.
Fire crews from Saffron Walden were called to the incident, at around 1am this morning, at Hadleigh Court, just off Carnation Drive.
A Volkswagon Polo, parked in the private carpark of the flats, was set alight and the fire then spread to a Ford Transit van, a Kia Carens and a Nissan Primastar.
The blaze destroyed the two cars and one of the vans is likely to be written off.
One fire crew from Saffron Walden attended the scene but a second was soon called on due to the additional manpower and water needed to tackle the flames.
The fire crews used three hose reel jets of water backed up by a nearby fire hydrant and two firefighters were deployed with breathing apparatus to extinguish the fire.
Saffron Walden Police and paramedics were also at the scene.
- 1 Delayed 350 homes development approved
- 2 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 3 Arsonist firebombed GP surgery after doctors refused to give him heroin
- 4 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 5 Suffocating plants to be stripped out: Jubilee Pond makeover
- 6 Axing BBC TV news from Cambridge 'a backward step' says MP
- 7 Scammer conned North Essex man out of £6,000
- 8 Flashmob choir, free lessons: Latest Ukraine support
- 9 Saffron Walden girls enjoy first festival outing
- 10 e-comics and creative writing help from Essex libraries
An Essex Police spokesperson said: “Police are investigating an arson which happened in Carnation Drive, Saffron Walden at around 1am today.
“Anyone with information are urged to contact the Saffron Walden police on 101 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.”
Police are making attempts to contact the owners of the damaged vehicles.