Police precept increase to be discussed at Essex Police and Crime Panel’s first meeting
- Credit: Archant
THE first meeting of the Essex Police and Crime Panel is set to take place at the end of the month.
In November last year Essex residents elected the first Police and Crime Commissioner (PCC) for Essex, marking a fundamental change to policing in the County. The PCC, Nick Alston, will be scrutinised by the Essex Police and Crime Panel which is chaired by county councillor John Jowers, cabinet member for communities and planning.
The panel consists of 15 councillors representing 12 districts, two unitary authorities and the County Council. There is also one co-opted member.
The panel’s role includes reviewing the police and crime plan, annual report and both scrutinising and supporting the activities of the PCC in holding the Chief Constable to account.
At its first meeting at County Hall in Chelmsford on Thursday, January 31, the proposed police precept for 2013/14 is one of the main items on the agenda.
You may also want to watch:
County Councillor John Jowers, Cabinet Member for Communities & Planning, said: “As a panel, we will work as a critical friend to the Police and Crime Commissioner for Essex scrutinising new appointments, fresh ideas and plans which are put on the table. I’m positive that we have a good innovative panel with views that represent all areas of the county and we are looking forward to working with the Commissioner.”
- 1 Kemi Badenoch MP secures new brief in September reshuffle
- 2 Cambridge Music Festival returns with 30th anniversary programme of concerts and online offerings
- 3 'Don't replace our pub garden with housing', say Newport campaigners
- 4 National award and recognition for work of a laughter specialist
- 5 Purse stolen from shopper's bag in Aldi supermarket, Walden
- 6 Delight as triathlon returns to Saffron Walden for 20th edition
- 7 Mencap 'thank you' for Dig It community allotment
- 8 Eco Market celebrates Essex's eco businesses on Great Big Green Week
- 9 Reporter wins award for Uttlesford news articles
- 10 New cup and pavilion are dedicated to memory of Colin Bazley