Police reassure parents after two incidents of young people being approached by man in car
- Credit: Archant
POLICE have moved to reassure parents following two reports of young people being approached by a man in a car.
Although the incidents happened last month, the move comes in response to a number of rumours being circulated throughout the district, including on social media such as Facebook.
Patrols have also been stepped up in the area and investigations are continuing.
The first incident occurred on Thursday, March 21, when a 17-year-old boy was approached by a man in a red 4x4 vehicle, who told him to get into the car. The teenager rode off on his bike along Bardfield Road.
The following day, an 11-year-old girl was walking along Bardfield Road when she was approached by a man in a red Land Rover Discovery. The man spoke with a foreign accent and said “he was going to get her”, Essex police said. The youngster ran away.
You may also want to watch:
Insp Colin Cox, from Saffron Walden police station, said: “We want to reassure residents there was no physical contact between the man and the children.
“The incidents are being treated seriously and patrols in the area have been increased. Investigations into the incidents are continuing.”
- 1 Anti flooding solutions being created for outside Newport
- 2 Widespread flooding leads to busiest day for Essex firefighters
- 3 Two Covid swab kit sites open in Uttlesford
- 4 Rape victim urges others to be brave and tell Essex Police
- 5 Man dies in 'unexplained' house fire
- 6 Residents, the RAF and Stansted Airport react to sonic boom
- 7 Fire Service door to door visits after fatal fire
- 8 Saffron Hall's Come Together project starts online this month
- 9 Campaign seeks free products in Uttlesford's public buildings
- 10 Covid vaccinations given at the Lord Butler
Anyone who notices a red 4x4 vehicle acting suspiciously around Thaxted or who has any concerns has been asked to contact the neighbourhood policing team on 101 or Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.