Police seek Essex man in connecttion with two accostings
Police are looking to identify a man who is believed to be behind two accostings in north-east Essex.
Officers are linking two incidents in Saffron Walden which have happened in the past couple of months in which a motorist has asked women for directions to the local leisure centre.
The first incident happened on Thursday, May 17, but was only reported to police on Friday, June 22. A female motorist had been parked on Gibson Way when a man approached her at 5.30pm, wanting directions to the leisure centre. As he was being talked to, the woman became aware that he was not paying attention. At the end of the conversation, he grabbed her hand and shook it tightly while thanking her. He returned to his nearby vehicle and the woman drove off.
The second incident happened on Tuesday, June 19 on Victoria Avenue. A motorist pulled up alongside a female pedestrian at 5.45pm and asked her for directions to the leisure centre. The woman ignored him, but the man continued to drive alongside her for a short distance, offering her chocolate and then commenting on her looks. He then drove off.
Investigating Officer, Sgt Colin Cox, said: “We’re not sure what to make of these two incidents. The car that the man was driving was an old-style blue Ford Focus which is believed to be about eight years old. We would like to identify him so that we can establish whether there was anything sinister in his approaches to both of these women.”
You may also want to watch:
Anyone with information in connection with these accostings is urged to contact investigating officers at Saffron Walden police on 101.
- 1 Essex's Ben Maher takes Tokyo 2020 gold
- 2 Town council welcomes Affinity Water U-turn as supplier announces surcharge
- 3 Uttlesford faces 'house building assault', says leader
- 4 Venue change for Ibiza Anthems Garden Party to Saffron Walden
- 5 Ipswich man to face trial for Braintree car theft and Cheshunt rail incident
- 6 WaldenTRI come together to produce a strong showing at Bedford Team Relays
- 7 How one business is encouraging pet owners to go plastic free
- 8 Saffron Walden Town off to winning start with victory at Sawbridgeworth
- 9 Creamfields announces new electronic music festival for Chelmsford, Essex, in 2022
- 10 In pictures: Fun raises community support cash