Police seek Essex man in connecttion with two accostings
Police are looking to identify a man who is believed to be behind two accostings in north-east Essex.
Officers are linking two incidents in Saffron Walden which have happened in the past couple of months in which a motorist has asked women for directions to the local leisure centre.
The first incident happened on Thursday, May 17, but was only reported to police on Friday, June 22. A female motorist had been parked on Gibson Way when a man approached her at 5.30pm, wanting directions to the leisure centre. As he was being talked to, the woman became aware that he was not paying attention. At the end of the conversation, he grabbed her hand and shook it tightly while thanking her. He returned to his nearby vehicle and the woman drove off.
The second incident happened on Tuesday, June 19 on Victoria Avenue. A motorist pulled up alongside a female pedestrian at 5.45pm and asked her for directions to the leisure centre. The woman ignored him, but the man continued to drive alongside her for a short distance, offering her chocolate and then commenting on her looks. He then drove off.
Investigating Officer, Sgt Colin Cox, said: “We’re not sure what to make of these two incidents. The car that the man was driving was an old-style blue Ford Focus which is believed to be about eight years old. We would like to identify him so that we can establish whether there was anything sinister in his approaches to both of these women.”
Anyone with information in connection with these accostings is urged to contact investigating officers at Saffron Walden police on 101.
- 1 Essex report into Covid deaths and residents with learning disabilities
- 2 Fire safety measures approved for Harlow council homes
- 3 Family tribute to much-loved mum and grandma who died during Thaxted fire
- 4 District council: Free car parking between Christmas and January 3
- 5 Thaxted businesses meet Kemi Badenoch MP to talk about Small Business Saturday
- 6 More jab capacity planned in North Uttlesford as Omicron variant appears
- 7 'Many questions' claim as Uttlesford leader John Lodge announces resignation
- 8 Christmas in Essex: 9 magical places to visit in winter
- 9 Stansted's Mountfitchet House has 'bush tucker trials'
- 10 Person has died on railway tracks near Newport, say police