Popular Saffron Striders beginners’ running course to return for another year
- Credit: Archant
The popular beginners’ running course organised by the Saffron Striders is returning for another year.
Starting on Tuesday, May 13, the course will take people who are new to running, and those who have not run for many years, through a 10-week programme to improve their fitness. By the end of the course, everyone should be able to run at least 5km.
Mark Starte, who completed last year’s beginners course and is now a fully-fledged Saffron Strider, is encouraging people to give it a go.
Mark said: “At the beginning of 2013 I was barely able to run 300 yards without collapsing in a heap. I decided to rectify this situation by signing up for the Saffron Striders beginners’ course.
“Over a period of 10 weeks the course provided professional, friendly and fun tuition which greatly improved my running performance. By the end of the course I was able to run 5km. I am now a regular runner with the club itself and have progressed onto 10 kilometre runs and races.”
You may also want to watch:
Saffron Strider Keith Savill, who will be leading the course for the sixth time, said: “We want to encourage people who might be put off at the thought of joining the Saffron Striders without ever having run before, or without having run for many years. Perhaps you watched the London Marathon and thought ‘I’d like to try that’.
“Anyone aged 16 and over is welcome to join up, whatever their ability or level of fitness. As a fully trained group leader, I’ll be making sure that you’re well looked after and have loads of fun.”
- 1 First business to sponsor Walden's Dance in the Square 2021
- 2 Neighbourhood Plan Referendum results
- 3 The Stansted couple on an #HDHike for Huntington's disease
- 4 Uttlesford District Council chief executive is stepping down
- 5 Lockdown easing: Saffron Walden Museum to reopen on May 20
- 6 Lana's efforts help to feed the community
- 7 Saffron Walden shakeup in county council elections
- 8 Local elections 2021: UDC ward results for Newport and The Sampfords
- 9 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 10 Deadline week for Stansted planners amid latest appeal
The course costs £40 which includes a T-shirt, 10 weeks of coaching suitable for all abilities, insurance, and club membership for the remainder of 2014. Each weekly session starts at the Lord Butler Leisure Centre at 6.30pm and lasts an hour.
Anyone wishing to join can just turn up on May 13 with cash or a cheque for £40 (payable to Saffron Striders) and a completed application form and disclaimer, which are available to download from the Saffron Striders website – saffronstriders.org.uk.
To find out more contact Mr Savill by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org.