Portas town to reveal plans for growth
TOWN centre chiefs in Braintree are set to showcase a series of new initiatives to reinvigorate the area following its success in the Portas Pilot project.
Braintree is the only town in Essex to have secured thousands of pounds in Government funding thanks to the successful bid for Portas Pilot cash – designed to boost Britain’s struggling town centres.
Now the district council has announced it will unveil a number of initiatives in a special event on Friday, September 7.
The event, which takes place from 10am to 2pm in the arches at Market Street, will include:
n A range of start-up market stalls from local entrepreneurs keen to see their retail business grow – this includes vintage clothing; homemade chocolate and cakes; craft and bunting; jewellery; family portrait sketching.
You may also want to watch:
n The launch of the Indi card – a free loyalty card scheme for everyone, including offers and incentives to encourage shoppers to support the town’s independent retailers and businesses.
n Tea with the leader – a 10-minute chat over a free tea or coffee with council leader Graham Butland and councillor Chris Siddall to share your thoughts on the town.
- 1 The number of Indian variant Covid cases in Uttlesford
- 2 Saffron Walden young triathletes dominate at national qualifier
- 3 Tools collection is a huge success
- 4 District heroes named in Queen's Birthday Honours list
- 5 Village leader awarded BEM for community centre build and more
- 6 Bronze Age and Roman treasures go on display at museum
- 7 Revealed: images of new hospital that aims to be carbon neutral
- 8 Hotel on Duxford IWM site given go-ahead after council re-vote
- 9 Ibiza legend Dave Pearce and Clockwork Orange Andy Manston at garden party
- 10 'We're not trying to target young people': e-scooter awareness drive
Cllr Siddall, cabinet member for prosperity and growth, said: “As the only town in Essex to have received this funding, we know we’ve got to seize every opportunity it offers – and it looks like we are already off to an excellent start. Let’s hope everyone comes along to support the occasion.”