Post Office to finish refurbishment sooner than expected
- Credit: Archant
The town’s only Post Office will now re-open five days earlier than planned, after considerable concern was voiced when its temporary closure was announced before Christmas.
The High Street branch, housed in the Costcutter store, will still close for refurbishment at 2pm this Saturday, January 10, but is now due to re-open on Thursday, January 22 at 1pm, rather than on January 27 as previously stated.
A spokesman for the Post Office said the contractor had agreed to work longer hours to speed up the refurbishment.
The works will involve gutting the existing premises to install six modern serving counters, which include two modern screened, and three open plan positions, as well as a Post Office serving point for use at the retail counter.
Further improvements will include extended opening hours, as well as new flooring, lighting and signage.
You may also want to watch:
Customers are able to use stores in Newport, Thaxted and Thaxted during the closure.
- 1 Villagers launch bid to raise £200,000 for 14th-century church paintings
- 2 Outdoor spaces help Uttlesford reclaim some normality
- 3 'Gastro-Glastonbury' Foodies Festival coming to Hylands Park in Chelmsford
- 4 Festive Christmas markets to visit in Essex, 2021
- 5 'Don't replace our pub garden with housing', say Newport campaigners
- 6 Robin Hood pantomime to celebrate Harlow Playhouse's 50th birthday this Christmas
- 7 Purse stolen from shopper's bag in Aldi supermarket, Walden
- 8 National award and recognition for work of a laughter specialist
- 9 Saffron Walden book giveaway on The Lorax's 50th birthday
- 10 'Not now, Bernard' - Children's concert to open Saffron Walden Symphony Orchestra's new season