Post Office to finish refurbishment sooner than expected
- Credit: Archant
The town’s only Post Office will now re-open five days earlier than planned, after considerable concern was voiced when its temporary closure was announced before Christmas.
The High Street branch, housed in the Costcutter store, will still close for refurbishment at 2pm this Saturday, January 10, but is now due to re-open on Thursday, January 22 at 1pm, rather than on January 27 as previously stated.
A spokesman for the Post Office said the contractor had agreed to work longer hours to speed up the refurbishment.
The works will involve gutting the existing premises to install six modern serving counters, which include two modern screened, and three open plan positions, as well as a Post Office serving point for use at the retail counter.
Further improvements will include extended opening hours, as well as new flooring, lighting and signage.
You may also want to watch:
Customers are able to use stores in Newport, Thaxted and Thaxted during the closure.
- 1 The number of Indian variant Covid cases in Uttlesford
- 2 Saffron Walden young triathletes dominate at national qualifier
- 3 Tools collection is a huge success
- 4 District heroes named in Queen's Birthday Honours list
- 5 Bronze Age and Roman treasures go on display at museum
- 6 Village leader awarded BEM for community centre build and more
- 7 Revealed: images of new hospital that aims to be carbon neutral
- 8 Hotel on Duxford IWM site given go-ahead after council re-vote
- 9 Ibiza legend Dave Pearce and Clockwork Orange Andy Manston at garden party
- 10 Fête de la Musique returns to Walden - with nine music venues