Prime Minister Gordon Brown sponsors Stansted Airport's charity climb
A SECURITY officer at Stansted Airport has secured a VIP sponsor for her Welsh mountain challenge. Prime Minister Gordon Brown has pledged sponsorship for the charity climb which is raising money for Merlin, the international health charity. Hatfield Heat
A SECURITY officer at Stansted Airport has secured a VIP sponsor for her Welsh mountain challenge.
Prime Minister Gordon Brown has pledged sponsorship for the charity climb which is raising money for Merlin, the international health charity.
Hatfield Heath resident Alli Irvin, who's also a senior health and safety representative with trade union Unite, is part of a team of frontline staff and senior managers from the airport taking part in the event in September.
Managing director Stewart Wingate, terminal general manager Neale Jouques, and Head of Health and Safety Andy Sneddon are among the 24-strong team.
Alli said: "I emailed all my trade union contacts seeking sponsorship and Gordon Brown's office came back with a pledge - I was gobsmacked."
The Welsh 3000ers challenge involves scaling 15 peaks over three days. Participants have to be fit and prepared to face the worst the British weather can throw at them.
- 1 Toaster joy: Radwinter Repair Cafe to the rescue
- 2 The Silver Wolf, highest Scouting honour, for Neville Wilson
- 3 4 inspirational women are celebrated in Newport
- 4 Hands-on archaeology, beacons and picnics: Platinum Jubilee
- 5 Obituary: On-call firefighter dedicated life to community
- 6 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 7 Cambridge: Police officer had surgery after sex offender drove car at them
- 8 Home county tenant exodus drives up London rents
- 9 Free lunch, free fun and circus for Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 10 Silent auction, live music, collection: Ukraine support
Many of those taking part have been training hard, or have been involved in Stansted's Fit for Business programme which featured regular exercise sessions at the airport.
The man behind the programme is Andy Sneddon, a keen walker and climber.
He said: "This is a fantastic opportunity for frontline staff and senior managers to spend some time together outside of the airport, in a common task. It will benefit personal relationships and the business."
To sponsor the team logon to http://www.justgiving.com/BAAWelsh3000ers/
Pictured from left, Stansted MD Stewart Wingate, security officer Alli Irvin and Head of Health and Safety, Andy Sneddon Picture: SUBMITTED