Project to engage young people from gypsy and traveller community receives support from Essex grant scheme
- Credit: Archant
A PROJECT which aims to engage with young people from the gypsy and traveller community and a playbus are among those receiving support in the latest round of a grants scheme.
Uttlesford Buffy Bus received £2,500 from the Essex Millennium Fund to help with the cost of the bus travelling to 15 different communities across the district. The bus provides play activities for children under five.
One Voice received £1,603 from to support the organisation’s work engaging with young members of the gypsy and traveller communities in Braintree and Uttlesford.
Awards from both the Essex Millennium Fund and Essex County Council’s Chairman’s Fund, totalling more than £66,000, were presented to 24 Essex-based charities and voluntary organisations at a ceremony held at the Essex Record Office last month.
The two funds, managed by the independent charitable trust Essex Community Foundation (ECF), give ongoing support for initiatives to enhance the lives of people living in Essex.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Kay Twitchen, chairman of the county council, praised all of the representatives of organisations present at the awards for all their hard work.
She said: “Thank you for your commitment and dedication to enhancing the lives of local people. You are an inspiration and this event serves to remind us all of just what an asset we have in all the volunteers who contribute so much to communities in the county.”
- 1 Two Covid swab kit sites open in Uttlesford
- 2 Anti flooding solutions being created for outside Newport
- 3 Widespread flooding leads to busiest day for Essex firefighters
- 4 Residents, the RAF and Stansted Airport react to sonic boom
- 5 Rape victim urges others to be brave and tell Essex Police
- 6 Fire Service door to door visits after fatal fire
- 7 Man dies in 'unexplained' house fire
- 8 What it was like travelling abroad during Covid
- 9 MasterChef winner Chef Webb's lockdown recipe
- 10 Essex County Council to discuss council tax increase of up to £40
The Essex Millennium Fund was established as an endowed fund within the ECF to celebrate the Millennium. It is distributed to voluntary and community groups working within the priority areas of carers, community support, enhancing the environment and young people.
The Chairman’s Fund was established in 2007 to support voluntary and community groups which are working to enrich the lives of people in their community by participation in activities exploring culture and heritage.
The two funds have so far awarded a total of £870,000.