Pub evacuated after kitchen blaze

A PUB in Great Sampford was evacuated on Tuesday (April 28) after a fire started in the kitchen. Firefighters were called to The Red Lion Inn at 8.30pm to tackle the blaze which could have started in the fryer. Sub Officer Steve Morris, officer in charge,

A PUB in Great Sampford was evacuated on Tuesday (April 28) after a fire started in the kitchen.

Firefighters were called to The Red Lion Inn at 8.30pm to tackle the blaze which could have started in the fryer.

Sub Officer Steve Morris, officer in charge, said: "The pub had to be evacuated, but fortunately it was early so there weren't too many people in there.

"The kitchen was gutted by the smoke damage caused by the fire. We used a positive pressure ventilation fan to clear smoke from the building more quickly."


You may also want to watch:


Firefighters from Thaxted and Wethersfield used two thermal imaging cameras, one hose reel jet, and two sets of breathing apparatus to tackle the blaze. The fire was extinguished by 9.30pm.

Most Read

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter