Public exhibition details announced for Sainsbury's Saffron Walden store plans
PUBLISHED: 11:48 05 October 2009 | UPDATED: 21:55 31 May 2010
PLANS for a new Sainsbury s food store in Saffron Walden will be unveiled at a public exhibition on October 16 and 17. The supermarket giant recently announced proposals to create a new food store on Thaxted Road. Should the plans get given the go ahead i
PLANS for a new Sainsbury's food store in Saffron Walden will be unveiled at a public exhibition on October 16 and 17.
The supermarket giant recently announced proposals to create a new food store on Thaxted Road. Should the plans get given the go ahead it will be the first Sainsbury's to be built in Uttlesford and would provide 350 new jobs.
Sainsbury's is keen to share its plans with the Saffron Walden community, and residents are invited to discuss the proposals with members of the project team at the public exhibition in the main hall of the Town Hall, Market Square on:
Friday 16 October, 12pm - 6pm
Saturday 17 October, 10am - 4pm
Overall, Sainsbury's claim the store development will:
- Provide a wide range of products and more choice for Uttlesford's residents
- Create up to 350 jobs (around 70 per cent part-time and 30 per cent full-time), plus construction jobs
- Include a new customer restaurant
- Include around 370-space car park
- Bring improved cycle and pedestrian links to the town centre
- Include cycle parking facilities
- Upgrade junctions close to the site
- Regenerate a derelict brownfield site at the gateway to the town
- Include site landscaping and an individual store design
- Bring a frequent bus service between the site and town centre
Sainsbury's development surveyor for East of England, Michael Morris, said: "Sainsbury's is delighted to announce its proposals for a new food store in Saffron
Walden, which will bring new choice and competition to the community by providing great value, high quality fresh food - as well as around 350 new jobs.
"Sainsbury's takes an active role in places where we have stores, and we are looking forward to engaging with the local community and hearing what they have to say."
For those who are unable to attend the exhibition, further information will be available
through the Sainsbury's Saffron Walden community line: 0800 019 22050800 2205, visiting www.sainsburys-saffronwalden.co.uk (which will go live on October 16) or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Saffron Walden Reporter. Click the link in the orange box above for details.