Pupils take part in Big Swim
TEN local students and one teacher took to the water at the Lord Butler Leisure Centre swimming pool to raise around �1500 for charity. The Big Swim group included nine Saffron Walden County High School pupils, teacher Mark Sanders, and one student from
TEN local students and one teacher took to the water at the Lord Butler Leisure Centre swimming pool to raise around �1500 for charity.
The 'Big Swim' group included nine Saffron Walden County High School pupils, teacher Mark Sanders, and one student from St Mary's Primary School.
They each had a mission to see how far they could swim in three hours, set themselves a target dependent on their own ability, and raised money for their chosen charity.
Mathematics teacher, Mr Sanders, said: "Most swimmers either reached their pre-set target or exceeded it. Those who didn't still beat their previous longest swim distance.
You may also want to watch:
"It was a superb effort from them all."
The students were James Jenkins, Tom Fanger, Ed Humprey, Ed Pottrill, Maia Lamb, Anna and Rachel Carter Gladwin, Ben Meads, Brittany Smith (all of SWCHS) and St Mary's Primary School pupil Ella Sanders.
- 1 Two Covid swab kit sites open in Uttlesford
- 2 Anti flooding solutions being created for outside Newport
- 3 Widespread flooding leads to busiest day for Essex firefighters
- 4 Residents, the RAF and Stansted Airport react to sonic boom
- 5 Man dies in 'unexplained' house fire
- 6 Fire Service door to door visits after fatal fire
- 7 Rape victim urges others to be brave and tell Essex Police
- 8 What it was like travelling abroad during Covid
- 9 MasterChef winner Chef Webb's lockdown recipe
- 10 Essex County Council to discuss council tax increase of up to £40
Mr Sanders added: "We would like to say many thanks to Ben Wyatt, Marcus Booth and Dawn Fanger for giving up their evening to lifeguard, and to the parents who came along to support and count off the lengths.
"We'd also like to thank Lord Butler Leisure Centre for giving us the use of their facilities for free and the friends and family who sponsored us.