Pupils take part in Big Swim
TEN local students and one teacher took to the water at the Lord Butler Leisure Centre swimming pool to raise around �1500 for charity. The Big Swim group included nine Saffron Walden County High School pupils, teacher Mark Sanders, and one student from
TEN local students and one teacher took to the water at the Lord Butler Leisure Centre swimming pool to raise around �1500 for charity.
The 'Big Swim' group included nine Saffron Walden County High School pupils, teacher Mark Sanders, and one student from St Mary's Primary School.
They each had a mission to see how far they could swim in three hours, set themselves a target dependent on their own ability, and raised money for their chosen charity.
Mathematics teacher, Mr Sanders, said: "Most swimmers either reached their pre-set target or exceeded it. Those who didn't still beat their previous longest swim distance.
You may also want to watch:
"It was a superb effort from them all."
The students were James Jenkins, Tom Fanger, Ed Humprey, Ed Pottrill, Maia Lamb, Anna and Rachel Carter Gladwin, Ben Meads, Brittany Smith (all of SWCHS) and St Mary's Primary School pupil Ella Sanders.
- 1 Walden pub reopens after four years
- 2 Affinity Water: No compensation for customers in water softening row
- 3 New Market Row deli will inspire community spirit, says mayor
- 4 Audley End Miniature Railway celebrates a lockdown easing sellout
- 5 Bar staff smash £1,000 target in charity challenge
- 6 Boy George and Culture Club announce Audley End concert
- 7 Application refused for 100 homes on former Friends School site
- 8 New pub opens: 'We had almost the whole village, and the one nearby'
- 9 Town council challenges water softening decision
- 10 Houses in pub garden refused on appeal but similar application pending
Mr Sanders added: "We would like to say many thanks to Ben Wyatt, Marcus Booth and Dawn Fanger for giving up their evening to lifeguard, and to the parents who came along to support and count off the lengths.
"We'd also like to thank Lord Butler Leisure Centre for giving us the use of their facilities for free and the friends and family who sponsored us.