QD and Buyright discount store chain hails its ‘best Christmas ever’
THE managing director of East Anglia-based discount shops firm QD said it was eyeing acquisition opportunities after seeing its “best Christmas ever”.
The company, which has 38 shops across the country operating under the QD, Buyright, Lathams and Cherry Lane Garden Centre brands - including a store in Saffron Walden’s High Street - said its like-for-like sales were up 5.66 per cent over the festive period..
Despite difficult trading conditions in the High Street, the firm said it had seen an “overall improvement in profitability and margin over the critical Christmas 2011 trading period”.
The Norwich-based company’s network of stores extends as far as Doncaster in the north and Wrexham to the west.
Group managing director, Justin Farrington Smith said: “We have just experienced our best ever Christmas trading with like-for-like sales for the period up by 5.66 per cent, and with overall improvement in profit and margin.
You may also want to watch:
Our new store and garden centre in Braintree traded well and our first ever pop-up store trialled successfully enough to suggest the concept can be taken forward in the forthcoming year.”
QD’s expansion was slowed during 2011 by a series of teething issues with IT implementation, but Mr Farrington-Smith said said: “We are over the worst of these now.”
- 1 Uttlesford faces 'house building assault', says leader
- 2 In pictures: Fun raises community support cash
- 3 Ipswich man to face trial for Braintree car theft and Cheshunt rail incident
- 4 Venue change for Ibiza Anthems Garden Party to Saffron Walden
- 5 Creamfields announces new electronic music festival for Chelmsford, Essex, in 2022
- 6 Shooting star: Coward-Holley's road to Tokyo 2020
- 7 Saffron Walden Motor Show set for 2021 return
- 8 Revealed: UDC considers almost 300 possible new development sites
- 9 EA Festival debut: New festival quenches region's 'thirst for culture'
- 10 It's A Very British Murder with TV historian Lucy Worsley at Cambridge Arts Theatre
“We are currently evaluating a number of acquisition opportunities and are always keen to hear from interested parties with suitable sites for our purposes.”