Radwinter mother ready to set up a gear for Virgin London Marathon
- Credit: Archant
Pounding the miles in preparation for this year’s Virgin London Marathon have taken on personal significance for one Radwinter mother.
Carol Willis, 50, took up running about eight years ago just to keep fit, but last year decided to step it up a gear.
She entered the popular event and was delighted to be offered a place in July by the charity Children with Cancer. It is a cause close to her heart.
Carol told the Reporter: “It is a wonderful charity and currently raises several million pounds a year to help beat cancer, affecting a large proportion of children in the UK.
“I personally have also had a close family member who has thankfully beaten the disease, so ongoing fundraising is vital for further research and early diagnosis.”
You may also want to watch:
Carol needs to raise £2,000 for the charity and her fundraising was kick-started on Saturday when a street collection held in Saffron Walden raised a total of £280.
With just 79 days to go until the big race, preparations on the road are also moving forward at a pace for the married mother of one.
- 1 Essex village celebrates 1,000 years of memories with new archive
- 2 Venue change for Ibiza Anthems Garden Party to Saffron Walden
- 3 Cows rescued after A120 collision
- 4 Spurs partnership with Walden clubs is a first in UK
- 5 In pictures: Saffron Walden's weekend of flooding
- 6 In pictures: Classic cars rally to celebrate the Royal British Legion at 100
- 7 Updates after person hit by train near Cambridge
- 8 Stansted Airport's summer getaway flight figures
- 9 In pictures: Uttlesford pupils' fun before the summer holidays
- 10 Hailstones 'the size of golf balls' batter gardens in Essex
“I am currently training hard and this is going well, if not a little gruelling. I’m now running 25 miles a week, and trying to fit this into a busy life but I am feeling confident I can complete the race,” she added.
“I am very grateful to all those who generously supported me on Saturday. All donations are very much appreciated.”
The Virgin London Marathon is one of the great British sporting events. It combines elite athletics, mass participation and record-breaking fundraising in one race.
The course is a gruelling 26 miles 385 yards long, passing through the streets of London from Blackheath to the famous finish line at The Mall.
To donate, visit Carol’s just giving page at http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/carolmar2014.com.
• Are you running in this year’s Virgin London Marathon? Let us know about it. E-mail email@example.com or call the newsdesk on 01799 513000.