Radwinter mother ready to set up a gear for Virgin London Marathon
- Credit: Archant
Pounding the miles in preparation for this year’s Virgin London Marathon have taken on personal significance for one Radwinter mother.
Carol Willis, 50, took up running about eight years ago just to keep fit, but last year decided to step it up a gear.
She entered the popular event and was delighted to be offered a place in July by the charity Children with Cancer. It is a cause close to her heart.
Carol told the Reporter: “It is a wonderful charity and currently raises several million pounds a year to help beat cancer, affecting a large proportion of children in the UK.
“I personally have also had a close family member who has thankfully beaten the disease, so ongoing fundraising is vital for further research and early diagnosis.”
Carol needs to raise £2,000 for the charity and her fundraising was kick-started on Saturday when a street collection held in Saffron Walden raised a total of £280.
With just 79 days to go until the big race, preparations on the road are also moving forward at a pace for the married mother of one.
- 1 Teen arrested for 'terrorism offences' at Stansted Airport
- 2 Junior Fencer from Saffron Walden wins silver at England Championship
- 3 How well do you know the Gibson Library?
- 4 Can you complete the Census 2021 map game?
- 5 Committee and president appointed for Elsenham WI
- 6 The Railway Arms awarded CAMRA county pub of the year
- 7 Tea party celebrates Saffron Walden Museum volunteers
- 8 Wenden Junior Cricket Club embrace new cricket season
- 9 Uttlesford new development could be triple the size of one refused
- 10 Dane's 10 day walk home with only a backpack
“I am currently training hard and this is going well, if not a little gruelling. I’m now running 25 miles a week, and trying to fit this into a busy life but I am feeling confident I can complete the race,” she added.
“I am very grateful to all those who generously supported me on Saturday. All donations are very much appreciated.”
The Virgin London Marathon is one of the great British sporting events. It combines elite athletics, mass participation and record-breaking fundraising in one race.
The course is a gruelling 26 miles 385 yards long, passing through the streets of London from Blackheath to the famous finish line at The Mall.
To donate, visit Carol’s just giving page at http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/carolmar2014.com.
• Are you running in this year’s Virgin London Marathon? Let us know about it. E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call the newsdesk on 01799 513000.