Radwinter mother ready to set up a gear for Virgin London Marathon
- Credit: Archant
Pounding the miles in preparation for this year’s Virgin London Marathon have taken on personal significance for one Radwinter mother.
Carol Willis, 50, took up running about eight years ago just to keep fit, but last year decided to step it up a gear.
She entered the popular event and was delighted to be offered a place in July by the charity Children with Cancer. It is a cause close to her heart.
Carol told the Reporter: “It is a wonderful charity and currently raises several million pounds a year to help beat cancer, affecting a large proportion of children in the UK.
“I personally have also had a close family member who has thankfully beaten the disease, so ongoing fundraising is vital for further research and early diagnosis.”
You may also want to watch:
Carol needs to raise £2,000 for the charity and her fundraising was kick-started on Saturday when a street collection held in Saffron Walden raised a total of £280.
With just 79 days to go until the big race, preparations on the road are also moving forward at a pace for the married mother of one.
- 1 Walden's new healthcare hub taking shape - as doctors surgery goes on market for £1.4m
- 2 Students share their views on school curriculum
- 3 Walden church open and taking part in Thy Kingdom Come
- 4 Operation Trespass will highlight drugs gangs cuckooing efforts
- 5 Delight as books are donated to school's learning centre
- 6 Uttlesford's shops still suffer from low footfall, Google data shows
- 7 New on-call firefighters have joined stations
- 8 Dunmow and Stansted councillors not in new Essex County Council cabinet
- 9 Saffron Walden shakeup in county council elections
- 10 First day at school after beating Covid-19 while being treated for cancer
“I am currently training hard and this is going well, if not a little gruelling. I’m now running 25 miles a week, and trying to fit this into a busy life but I am feeling confident I can complete the race,” she added.
“I am very grateful to all those who generously supported me on Saturday. All donations are very much appreciated.”
The Virgin London Marathon is one of the great British sporting events. It combines elite athletics, mass participation and record-breaking fundraising in one race.
The course is a gruelling 26 miles 385 yards long, passing through the streets of London from Blackheath to the famous finish line at The Mall.
To donate, visit Carol’s just giving page at http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/carolmar2014.com.
• Are you running in this year’s Virgin London Marathon? Let us know about it. E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call the newsdesk on 01799 513000.