Raising the profile of dementia in Uttlesford
DEMENTIA will come into the spotlight in Saffron Walden during Dementia Awareness Week, which runs from July 5 to 11. The mental illness will be highlighted by NHS West Essex, Essex County Council and local charities The Alzheimer s Society and Carers UK
DEMENTIA will come into the spotlight in Saffron Walden during Dementia Awareness Week, which runs from July 5 to 11.
The mental illness will be highlighted by NHS West Essex, Essex County Council and local charities The Alzheimer's Society and Carers UK
Stands will be offering advice and information at Saffron Walden Library and outside Waitrose supermarket on Thursday July 9, from10am to 3pm.
The Littlebury Music Festival, between 4pm and 10pm on Sunday July 12, will also be supporting the Alzheimer's Society.
The local Alzheimer's Society branch - based in Great Dunmow but covering the entire Uttlesford district - currently supports 277 clients; carers, family members and the person with dementia. Outreach workers provide home visits to support clients on an ongoing basis and liaise with social care and health professionals and other voluntary organisations to enable people access other services and benefits.
Clients and carers are given social support with pub lunch support groups, memory clubs, coffee mornings and a woodwork group.
- 1 Toaster joy: Radwinter Repair Cafe to the rescue
- 2 The Silver Wolf, highest Scouting honour, for Neville Wilson
- 3 4 inspirational women are celebrated in Newport
- 4 Hands-on archaeology, beacons and picnics: Platinum Jubilee
- 5 Obituary: On-call firefighter dedicated life to community
- 6 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 7 Cambridge: Police officer had surgery after sex offender drove car at them
- 8 Home county tenant exodus drives up London rents
- 9 Free lunch, free fun and circus for Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 10 Silent auction, live music, collection: Ukraine support
Carers UK are also supporting Dementia Awareness Week. They provide an information bureau and generic services to look after carers.
For more information contact Mari Hinton at: Uttlesford Carers, UV& C Centre, 46 High Street, Great Dunmow, CM6 1BP, ring 01371 875810 or e-mail email@example.com