Rare World War Two Nazi board game purchased by Stansted toy museum
ONE of the world s rarest World War II board games is to stay in Britain after being purchased for over �600 by local museum The House on the Hill Toy Museum in Stansted. The Eagle Air Defence game (Adler Luftverteidigungs Spiel in German) is believed to
ONE of the world's rarest World War II board games is to stay in Britain after being purchased for over �600 by local museum The House on the Hill Toy Museum in Stansted.
The Eagle Air Defence game (Adler Luftverteidigungs Spiel in German) is believed to be the only surviving example in the world and was developed by an officer of the German Airforce Luftwaffe in 1941. The aim of the game is to defend the Fatherland from an attack by the RAF.
Two of these games were produced; the other one was called The Eagles Dog Fight Game of which the museum already owned and is also exceedingly rare also produced in 1941. To the find the other game to complete the series was an "absolute dream come true" for the owner of the toy museum.
Alan Goldsmith said: "Being informed years ago that the Eagles Dog Fight game was an incredibly rare game, and to then hear about The Eagle Air Defence game which I didn't think existed anymore, I just knew that he had to buy it for the museum especially as 2010 is the 70th anniversary of the battle of Britain where so many brave airmen lost their lives fighting for our country."
When the game came up for auction at Wallis & Wallis in Sussex, competing with bidders from all over the world the game was successfully purchased by The House on the Hill Toy Museum which is a part of the Mountfitchet Castle complex, and houses a large military exhibition.
The games will go on display within the toy museum which is part of the Mountfitchet Castle Complex which opens for their new season on March 14.
- 1 Tea party celebrates Saffron Walden Museum volunteers
- 2 Debden man fundraising for Mind with 480km walk
- 3 Uttlesford Local Plan delay 'necessary' say councillors
- 4 Teen arrested for 'terrorism offences' at Stansted Airport
- 5 Dane's 10 day walk home with only a backpack
- 6 Junior Fencer from Saffron Walden wins silver at England Championship
- 7 The Railway Arms awarded CAMRA county pub of the year
- 8 Saffron Walden draw positives at Witham
- 9 Can you complete the Census 2021 map game?
- 10 How well do you know the Gibson Library?
The game will also be included in a forthcoming first ever illustrated price guide to board games which will be published in the autumn by the House on the Hill Toy Museum.