Ready for take off: Stansted has busiest December in four years
- Credit: www.baa.com/photolibrary
Stansted Airport enjoyed its busiest December in four years as nearly 1.32 million passengers passed through the airport – the fourth consecutive month of growth and an increase of 7.7 per cent over the same month last year.
The overall number of passengers using Stansted in the past 12 months also increased by 2.2 per cent to just over 17.84 million, the first full year of growth since 2007.
Andrew Harrison, Stansted’s managing director, said: “Stansted has enjoyed a very positive and encouraging first ten months under the new ownership of M.A.G. December’s traffic results are a clear indication that Stansted is back and successfully competing with other London airports.
“We now expect the airport to enter a period of sustained growth this year following the signing of long-term agreements with both Ryanair and easyJet.
“These deals will ensure Stansted is once again London’s fastest growing airport over the next five years and will see the airport serving over 30 million passengers a year by 2024. We also believe Stansted will be full by around 2030 when we reach the current planning limit of 35 million passengers a year.”
You may also want to watch:
He added: “We are now focussed on the development of long-haul services from Stansted, and have called on businesses from across the region to work with us to show potential airlines the strength of demand that exists for flights to the Middle East, North America and Asia.
“We’ve also made excellent progress with our £80 million redevelopment of the terminal to transform the passenger experience, including opening the new security area before Christmas, and our campaign to improve the rail service between London, Stansted and beyond is really gaining traction, including the Airports Commission recommendation to the Treasury to begin urgent studies into increasing capacity and quality of the service.
- 1 Flexi parking ticket rolled out for hybrid commuters
- 2 Thaxted Gardening and Craft Show winners revealed
- 3 Saffron Walden actress Tamara Lee Smart to star as Marilyn Monroe for one night in rehearsed play reading
- 4 Festive Christmas markets to visit in Essex, 2021
- 5 Hatfield Heath air disaster memorial 'a symbol of UK-US unity'
- 6 Cash boost for plan to plant 350,000 trees in Essex
- 7 Saffron Striders take advantage of late summer warmth to stretch their legs far and wide
- 8 'Gastro-Glastonbury' Foodies Festival coming to Hylands Park in Chelmsford
- 9 'Don't replace our pub garden with housing', say Newport campaigners
- 10 'Do you enjoy singing and making new friends?' - Church holding taster session for its junior choir
“Together, these are real signs of change after years of declining traffic. With the centre of London’s economy shifting eastwards, we’re determined to maximise Stansted’s potential to drive economic growth and boost the competitiveness of London and the East of England.”