Remembrance Day at Imperial War Museum Duxford
ON Remembrance Sunday, Imperial War Museum Duxford will be holding a special service of remembrance. Admission to the museum is free for all on this day and organisers are hoping that people will take this opportunity to explore IWM Duxford on the day whe
ON Remembrance Sunday, Imperial War Museum Duxford will be holding a special service of remembrance.
Admission to the museum is free for all on this day and organisers are hoping that people will take this opportunity to explore IWM Duxford on the day when members of the Armed Forces, who have lost their lives in active service, are remembered.
At 11am (Sunday November 8), there will be a candle-lighting ceremony in the American Air Museum to remember the US Forces who fought and died in the Second World War, and to honour the US service personnel who continue to make the ultimate sacrifice. A representative of the 492nd Fighter Group, RAF Lakenheath, will undertake the candlelighting ceremony.
The Remembrance Service will commence at 12.30pm and will be preceded by a marching display featuring Sawston Youth Group Band with local air cadets.
You may also want to watch:
There will be standard bearers from the Royal British Legion and the Burma Star Association.
The Imperial War Museum Family History Group will be on hand to answer questions regarding tracing family history. The Imperial War Museum archives are a memorial to those who have suffered and died in conflict from the First World War to the present day. They offer a wealth of material for the family history researcher.
- 1 Outdoor spaces help Uttlesford reclaim some normality
- 2 Villagers launch bid to raise £200,000 for 14th-century church paintings
- 3 'Gastro-Glastonbury' Foodies Festival coming to Hylands Park in Chelmsford
- 4 Festive Christmas markets to visit in Essex, 2021
- 5 'Don't replace our pub garden with housing', say Newport campaigners
- 6 Robin Hood pantomime to celebrate Harlow Playhouse's 50th birthday this Christmas
- 7 National award and recognition for work of a laughter specialist
- 8 Saffron Walden book giveaway on The Lorax's 50th birthday
- 9 Purse stolen from shopper's bag in Aldi supermarket, Walden
- 10 Audley End apple festival is this weekend
Museum staff will offer advice on how to negotiate the archives to resolve your family history queries.
The museum's Department for Learning will be offering hands-on activities for families, encouraging children to understand more about the significance and history of Remembrance Day.
Between 10am and 3pm, families will be able to read the story of why we use the poppy as a symbol of remembrance, make their own poppy or make a stained glass window.
Imperial War Museum Duxford is open 10am to 4pm. It is just south of Cambridge at junction 10 of the M11. Ample free parking is available. For further information, visit www.iwm.org.uk/duxford or call 01223 835 000.