Residents give their views over Sainsbury's plans for new superstore in Saffron Walden
SAFFRON WALDEN residents have been giving the Reporter their views on Sainsbury s plans to build a new superstore in the town. A public exhibition outlining proposals for a Sainsbury s store – which would be twice the size of Tesco on Radwinter Ro
SAFFRON WALDEN residents have been giving the Reporter their views on Sainsbury's plans to build a new superstore in the town.
A public exhibition outlining proposals for a Sainsbury's store - which would be twice the size of Tesco on Radwinter Road - was held in Saffron Walden Town Hall on Friday and Saturday.
Almost 700 people attended the exhibition and, according to organisers, about 85 per cent were "in favour" of the Thaxted Road development.
Here's what some of them had told us:
You may also want to watch:
Yvonne Morton from Rylstone Way, Saffron Walden, said: "There is not very much choice in Saffron Walden so I think a Sainsbury's could be a good idea, especially if it is going to have a petrol station.
"I thought exhibition was quite good and went some way to answering my questions. Sainsbury's have done quite a lot to try and solve the traffic issue and it could work. I live close to the site and I could walk, but if you are doing a big shop then really you need to drive."
- 1 Uttlesford faces 'house building assault', says leader
- 2 Town council welcomes Affinity Water U-turn as supplier announces surcharge
- 3 Essex's Ben Maher takes Tokyo 2020 gold
- 4 Ipswich man to face trial for Braintree car theft and Cheshunt rail incident
- 5 Venue change for Ibiza Anthems Garden Party to Saffron Walden
- 6 In pictures: Fun raises community support cash
- 7 Creamfields announces new electronic music festival for Chelmsford, Essex, in 2022
- 8 Saffron Walden Town off to winning start with victory at Sawbridgeworth
- 9 WaldenTRI come together to produce a strong showing at Bedford Team Relays
- 10 How one business is encouraging pet owners to go plastic free
Mother-of-two Judy Marner, from Little Walden, said: "I'm in favour of a Sainsbury's in the town, the supermarkets that are already here need the competition. I shop at Tesco at the moment, but I would definitely try a new store to see what it's like.
"It will be a bigger supermarket with a clothing range which, as a mum, will be a good thing. At the moment I have to do a 15-mile journey to Bishop's Stortford or Cambridge to get what I need."
Marcia Aislabie of Saffron Walden said: "The exhibition was informative and I'm in favour of the new development. Currently I shop at Tesco or drive to Sainsbury's in Bishop's Stortford.
"I feel the traffic problems are being addressed in a positive way as many of the roads to be developed are already in need of it. I would also use the public transport and new footpaths proposed."
Michael Vickery of Saffron Walden said: "It's good that they have put on this exhibition and they've got a fair amount of information here, but I don't see the need for the new development.
"You can't fix gridlocked roads by throwing in a few traffic lights or roundabouts. And they didn't really answer my questions about which route the delivery lorries will take.