Residents’ lucky escape from fire after smoke alarm alert: one woman suffers shock
A WOMAN was treated for shock after fire broke out in a Saffron Walden cottage.
Two appliances from Saffron Walden attended a call to the part-thatched property in Butlers Lane at 5.20pm yesterday (Wednesday).
Fire had broken out in an upstairs bedroom. Although the residents, who were downstairs, were given an early warning after a smoke alarm activated, a 50-year-old woman was treated by paramedics suffering “extreme shock”. She was not conveyed to hospital.
Sub officer Nigel Webb from Saffron Walden fire station said that the incident serves as a stark reminder of the importance of having a working smoke alarm.
“The smoke alarm alerted the occupants to this fire,” he said. “A working smoke alarm gives you that vital early warning when a fire breaks out in your home, giving you time to escape and call the fire service.”
You may also want to watch:
Crews wore four sets of breathing apparatus and used two hose reels to extinguish the fire. A thermal image camera was used to check for any remaining hotspots.
“Fire crews worked extremely well and were fast and efficient tackling the fire in the bedroom of the property and prevented the fire from spreading any further in the part-thatched cottage,” added SO Webb.
- 1 Kemi Badenoch MP secures new brief in September reshuffle
- 2 'We're not closing down day centres', says council
- 3 Libraries campaign group is concerned at consultation plan
- 4 Circuit star William Gilbank sets sights on professional sport
- 5 Cambs and Essex academy trust wins prestigious award
- 6 Essex Austin Seven Club takes in Saffron Walden on tour
- 7 Appeal to find Stansted teen, missing for five days
- 8 Saffron Walden triathletes doing themselves and their clubs proud at championships
- 9 More restrictions set to be scrapped in Boris Johnson's winter Covid plan
- 10 Dramatic pictures show extent of three north-west Essex farm fires
Essex County Fire and Rescue Service provide home fire safety visits and fits smoke alarms to vulnerable members of the community. Call 0845 6012495 for further details.