Rio heats up Essex in aid of hospice
- Credit: Archant
THE sizzling hot sights, sounds and smells of Rio were brought to a shivering Essex when carnival dancers and a South American inspired menu helped supporters raise £12,000 for a hospice.
More than 130 guests enjoyed the St Clare Rio carnival Ball held at the Radisson Blu Hotel in Stansted.
An auction of entertaining prizes, including a chauffeur-driven trip for two to the Michelin-starred Paris House restaurant, as well as tickets to see Mickey Flanagan and Mrs Brown’s Boys, helped swell the coffers by £3,200.
In keeping with the Brazilian theme, memorabilia from Brazil’s greatest Formula 1 driver Ayrton Senna, was also auctioned.
Sarah Calder, St Clare Hospice community fundraiser, who has lived in Brazil, said guests tucked into traditional Brazilian fayre of Bife Acebolada (Brazilian beef with onions), polenta chips and Arroz e Feijao, a popular Brazilian rice and beans dish.
You may also want to watch:
Passion fruit mousse rounded off the menu and set the scene for some passionate and exhilarating samba and carnival dancing to a Brazilian beat band.
“On a cold night it was just what was needed to heat up the night,” she said.
- 1 Updates after person hit by train near Cambridge
- 2 Roman ceramics and ancient road discovered in big archaeological dig
- 3 Revealed: almost 300 possible new development sites are submitted
- 4 Person dies after being struck by train in Cambridge
- 5 Hailstones 'the size of golf balls' batter gardens in Essex
- 6 In pictures: Uttlesford pupils' fun before the summer holidays
- 7 7 of the prettiest villages in north-west Essex
- 8 Lamborghini v Ferrari at Petrolheadonism.Club's Supercar Sunday event at The Warren Estate in Essex
- 9 Residents hand water to stranded drivers after fatal M11 crash
- 10 In pictures: Saffron Walden Round Table's Big Day Out
The night was organised by The Scarlet Foundation.