Rogue traders in Essex: Residents warned to be on the look-out
RESIDENTS are being warned about rogue traders who are believed to be operating in the area.
One victim, who lives in the Braintree district, commissioned what turned out to be “shoddy work” at an inflated price, the authority’s Trading Standards team said.
Advice is now being offered so others do not end up in the same situation.
Trading Standards say residents should never agree to have work carried out on their house or garden by anyone who knocks at the door. When looking for someone to employ, the team suggests people ask family and friends for recommendations and say “it is always best to get two or three quotes” before making a choice.
Buy with Confidence businesses are recommended because they have been audited and approved by Trading Standards.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Roger Walters, cabinet member for Trading Standards, said: “I am urging residents not to do business with people they neither know nor trust or with those who just knock at the door.
“Rogue doorstep traders can be extremely persuasive and be very convincing and it is easy to be taken in but only look to recommended reputable traders if you need work carried out.”
- 1 Walden fire: Resident has died
- 2 Walden war historian on the inspiration behind his latest book
- 3 Revealed: why some Uttlesford car park machines no longer take cash
- 4 Emergency funding for Essex care homes amid 'acute' staff shortages
- 5 Researchers collaborate with students in protein art project
- 6 Award-winning jazz singer Clare Teal and her sextet to play concert at Cambridge Arts Theatre
- 7 First birthday celebrations for Railway Arms in community ownership
- 8 Walden's Crocus Medical Practice opens within community hospital
- 9 Cambridge Film Festival returns for its 40th outing
- 10 County council promises arts boost for Essex
Buy with Confidence can be contacted by calling 08454 040506 or by visiting buywithconfidence.gov.uk
If you believe you have been caught out by a rogue trader, call Trading Standards on 08454 040506.