Rogue traders in Essex: Residents warned to be on the look-out
RESIDENTS are being warned about rogue traders who are believed to be operating in the area.
One victim, who lives in the Braintree district, commissioned what turned out to be “shoddy work” at an inflated price, the authority’s Trading Standards team said.
Advice is now being offered so others do not end up in the same situation.
Trading Standards say residents should never agree to have work carried out on their house or garden by anyone who knocks at the door. When looking for someone to employ, the team suggests people ask family and friends for recommendations and say “it is always best to get two or three quotes” before making a choice.
Buy with Confidence businesses are recommended because they have been audited and approved by Trading Standards.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Roger Walters, cabinet member for Trading Standards, said: “I am urging residents not to do business with people they neither know nor trust or with those who just knock at the door.
“Rogue doorstep traders can be extremely persuasive and be very convincing and it is easy to be taken in but only look to recommended reputable traders if you need work carried out.”
- 1 Roman ceramics and ancient road discovered in big archaeological dig
- 2 RAF Red Arrows and Typhoon dazzle crowds at Duxford Summer Air Show
- 3 Standon Calling called off after heavy rain and lightning risk
- 4 Updates after person hit by train near Cambridge
- 5 Revealed: UDC considers almost 300 possible new development sites
- 6 In pictures: Uttlesford pupils' fun before the summer holidays
- 7 4 English Heritage events to enjoy at Audley End this summer
- 8 Q&A: Former Uttlesford District Council leader Howard Rolfe
- 9 Person dies after being struck by train in Cambridge
- 10 Hailstones 'the size of golf balls' batter gardens in Essex
Buy with Confidence can be contacted by calling 08454 040506 or by visiting buywithconfidence.gov.uk
If you believe you have been caught out by a rogue trader, call Trading Standards on 08454 040506.